Vacuum state Lorentz invariance

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Lorentz invariance in vacuum state in QFT and how it is proven in rigourous relativistic QFT. It is suggested to read the Wightman axioms, Osterwalder-Schrader theorem, and books by Vincent Rivasseau and Jonathan Dimock for further understanding. Opinions on Bednorz's paper and Bogoliubov's books are also exchanged. Finally, it is recommended to focus on the references given for a better understanding of the topic.
Gvido_Anselmi
Hi everybody!
Why we don't have to prove Lorentz invariance of the Vacuum state in QFT?
This fact is quite obvious in QED and follows from Lorentz invariance of electric charges.
But in general case?
I don't know, but it seems to me this fact is not so obvious as it treated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is proved in rigourous relativistic quantum field theory by verifying that the construction satisfies conditions such as the Osterwalder-Schrader conditions.

So far, rigourous relativistic QFTs have only been constructed in 1+1D and 2+1d. The usual quantum field theories like QED etc are not rigourous.

atyy said:
It is proved in rigourous relativistic quantum field theory by verifying that the construction satisfies conditions such as the Osterwalder-Schrader conditions.

So far, rigourous relativistic QFTs have only been constructed in 1+1D and 2+1d. The usual quantum field theories like QED etc are not rigourous.

Thank you for your answer! Where can I read about it?

atyy said:
http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Wightman+axioms
http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Osterwalder-Schrader+theorem

http://rivasseau.com/resources/book.pdf
From perturbative to constructive Renormalization
Vincent Rivasseau

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1107005094/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Field Theory: A Mathematical Primer
Jonathan Dimock

Thank you, I will study these texts. And how do you like Bogoliubov's books on axiomatic QFT?
Can I also ask for your opinion on this paper? http://arxiv.org/pdf/1209.0209v2.pdf

Likes atyy
Ok, then I will better follow your recommendations in literature ))

Gvido_Anselmi said:
Ok, then I will better follow your recommendations in literature ))

Well, the comments of the referees don't seem to disagree that Bednorz's work is correct. The only dispute is about its novelty. So it seems Bednorz's paper is worth studying. I think the main limitation of the proof is that it is perturbative, as Bednorz mentions in his abstract, so it assumes the theory exists. In contrast, the references I gave do construct the theory.

atyy said:
Well, the comments of the referees don't seem to disagree that Bednorz's work is correct. The only dispute is about its novelty. So it seems Bednorz's paper is worth studying. I think the main limitation of the proof is that it is perturbative, as Bednorz mentions in his abstract, so it assumes the theory exists. In contrast, the references I gave do construct the theory.

Thank you very much. Quite possible it worth studying. But it seems to me quite strange in some ways. It's very different from QFT to which I am accustomed. So my decision is that following your recommendations will be more usefull now.

Related to Vacuum state Lorentz invariance

1. What is vacuum state Lorentz invariance?

Vacuum state Lorentz invariance refers to the property of a vacuum state in quantum field theory to remain unchanged under Lorentz transformations, which are mathematical operations that describe how physical quantities (such as position and time) appear to an observer in different frames of reference. In other words, the vacuum state is invariant under rotations and boosts in spacetime.

2. Why is vacuum state Lorentz invariance important?

Vacuum state Lorentz invariance is important because it is a fundamental property of our universe that is required for the consistency of physical theories. It allows for the prediction of physical phenomena in different frames of reference and is a crucial aspect of special relativity.

3. How is vacuum state Lorentz invariance related to the speed of light?

Vacuum state Lorentz invariance is related to the speed of light because it is a direct consequence of the postulate that the speed of light is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion. This postulate is a fundamental principle of special relativity and is necessary to maintain vacuum state Lorentz invariance.

4. Can vacuum state Lorentz invariance be violated?

In general, vacuum state Lorentz invariance is a robust property of our universe and is not expected to be violated. However, there are some theories, such as certain extensions to the standard model of particle physics, that predict violations of Lorentz invariance at very high energies. These theories are currently being tested through experiments and observations to see if they are valid descriptions of our universe.

5. How does vacuum state Lorentz invariance relate to the concept of spacetime?

Vacuum state Lorentz invariance is closely related to the concept of spacetime, which is the four-dimensional fabric in which all physical events occur. The invariance of the vacuum state under Lorentz transformations means that the vacuum state is the same in all frames of reference, regardless of their relative motion. This is a crucial aspect of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in inertial frames of reference.