Using symbolic logic in mathematical proof?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of symbolic logic in proving math theorems and concludes that it is not a practical or efficient method. The speaker suggests learning the actual way of proving theorems used by mathematicians and avoiding proof books that encourage symbolic proofs. They also mention that the style of writing proofs can vary depending on the instructor's preferences and conventions in publications. The use of symbolic logic may be more suitable for computer automated theorem provers rather than for human use. The conversation also includes an example of a proof using symbolic logic and the speaker asks for feedback on its correctness.
Terrell
is this a practical way of proving math theorems? i asked because when i tried, it seemed difficult for me to decide as to how exactly i should translate theorems and given statements into logical forms and since there are so many different ways, i do not know which one is correct.

For example, I was asked to prove the statement "If 0<a<b, then a^2 < b^2"
I: 0<a<b
A: multiply the given inequality by a
B: multiply the given inequality by b
C: 0 < a^2 < ab
D: 0 < ab < b^2
E: a^2 < b^2
(I ^ A) --> C
(I ^ B) --> D
(C ^ D) --> E
therefore, (I ^ E) --> Q

am i doing this right? and what i really want to know is how do i do it the most efficient way? or is proving math theorems simply a different animal compared to symbolic logic proofs? is practicing with symbolic logic proofs mainly a way of getting my brain to think in a certain way? thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a good way of proving theorems. Nobody does this kind of symbolic proof. Nobody wants to read symbolic proofs nowadays. So forget about symbolic logic proofs and learn the actual way of proving theorems the way mathematicians do it. I understand that proof books encourage these kind of proofs, and if you find a proof book that does, stay far away from it.

Likes FactChecker
micromass said:
This is not a good way of proving theorems. Nobody does this kind of symbolic proof. Nobody wants to read symbolic proofs nowadays. So forget about symbolic logic proofs and learn the actual way of proving theorems the way mathematicians do it. I understand that proof books encourage these kind of proofs, and if you find a proof book that does, stay far away from it.
noted. but what if i where to translate it back from symbols to words and math notation? would that still be a bad way? and are you implying that this symbolic proofs are simply a way to get the reader into thinking some sort of way to segue to the way mathematicians really do it? thanks! also what books would you recommend?

Terrell said:
noted. but what if i where to translate it back from symbols to words and math notation? would that still be a bad way?

The goodness or badness of how a proof is presented is a matter of tradition and cultural conventions. The style you are proposing resembles the abbreviated way that homework problems are traditionally presented. This abbreviated style has more to do with making the work easy to grade than with presenting a coherent proof. (No grader wants to read a essay in order to check work that is mainly calculation.)

What you are calling "symbolic logic" is not symbolic logic in the mathematical sense. For example, the style you propose is missing the use of logical quantifiers such "##\forall##" and "##\exists##". There is a field of study called Symbolic Logic and it can involve elaborate notation that allows steps in proofs to be written in an abbreviated form. However, in courses on other subjects (e.g. Calculus, Linear Algebra, etc) the elaborate symbolic machinery of symbolic logic is not used in writing proofs because it would make conceptually simple proofs extremely long. ( Furthermore, many students who take Calculus or Linear Algebra have never taken a course in symbolic logic.)

Particular instructors have particular standards about how they want homework type proofs written. The style that is easiest to grade is the "step-reason" format. It is a series of "steps", each annotated by a definition, theorem or assumption that justifies the step. To understand the "goodness" or "badness" of a proof with respect to pleasing an instructor, you have to learn the peculiarities of that instructor's tastes. There have been instructors that forbade the step-reason format and required proofs to be written using complete sentences and in the form of an essay.

Proofs in textbooks and mathematical journals, are usually presented with a mixture of the essay style and a symbolic style. They may contain short passages that have the "step-reason" format, but rarely would the entire content be presented in that style. To understand what's good or bad style with respect to publications, you have to read such material to learn the accepted conventions.

Last edited:
Likes Terrell
There is a practical use of what you are trying to do. If you want to develop a computer automated "theorem prover", I think this might be what you would want to do.
But this is not an approach that a human would want to use. Your example illustrates how it makes even the simplest proofs more difficult to follow. A computer might like it, but a human would not.

That being said, what do you think is wrong with your proof? (Except the last line confuses me. Why isn't it just I ---> E?)

Related to Using symbolic logic in mathematical proof?

1. What is symbolic logic?

Symbolic logic is a method of representing and manipulating logical statements using symbols and rules of inference. It allows for the analysis of complex logical arguments and the construction of rigorous mathematical proofs.

2. How is symbolic logic used in mathematical proof?

Symbolic logic is used to break down complex mathematical statements into simpler, more easily understandable forms. It allows for the identification of logical fallacies and the construction of valid arguments to prove theorems and mathematical statements.

3. What are the benefits of using symbolic logic in mathematical proof?

Using symbolic logic in mathematical proof allows for a more rigorous and systematic approach to solving problems and proving theorems. It also helps to identify and eliminate potential errors in logical reasoning.

4. Are there any limitations to using symbolic logic in mathematical proof?

While symbolic logic is a powerful tool for constructing mathematical proofs, it is not always applicable to every type of mathematical problem. In some cases, other methods may be more suitable for proving a theorem or solving a problem.

5. How can one learn to use symbolic logic in mathematical proof effectively?

Learning to use symbolic logic in mathematical proof effectively requires practice and understanding of the fundamental principles and rules. It is important to start with simple examples and gradually work towards more complex problems, seeking guidance and feedback from experienced mathematicians or teachers.