Using condensed water of Air Conditioner to top up a battery

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of using distilled water to top-up flooded lead acid batteries. While many people believe that water condensed by an air conditioner can also be used, there may be concerns about potential contaminants such as dust and algae. Ultimately, using distilled water is recommended for maintaining expensive batteries.
signode
Hi;

As we know that flooded lead acid battery needs to be top-up (watering) after passage of some time and it is recommended to use distilled water.
Many people say that water condensed by Air Conditioner is also very good to top-up the battery. Is it true?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rain water.

I have used water from a dehumidifier for many years.

It would make me nervous because fan+coil=dust collector.

russ_watters said:
It would make me nervous because fan+coil=dust collector.

There can be things that collect like you say. Usually they settle to the bottom of the bucket and are thrown out with the tail end of the water.

Does proper distilled water coat that much that you want to degrade your battery? All of these suggestions will have contaminants.

Windadct said:
Does proper distilled water coat that much that you want to degrade your battery? All of these suggestions will have contaminants.

You have no idea how many batteries I have to maintain. I have used this method successfully for years.

signode said:
Many people say that water condensed by Air Conditioner is also very good to top-up the battery. Is it true?
It may be true, in some cases. But in some climates I'd expect to find algae, the dripping pipes can be green with algae. Filtering would at least remove the bigger clumps.

Still, I think your boss would probably prefer that you used distilled water in his expensive batteries. :wink:

Related to Using condensed water of Air Conditioner to top up a battery

1. Can condensed water from an air conditioner really be used to top up a battery?

Yes, it is possible to use condensed water from an air conditioner to top up a battery. However, it is important to note that this method should only be used for certain types of batteries, such as lead-acid batteries, and caution should be taken to ensure the water is pure and free of any contaminants.

2. How does using condensed water of an air conditioner affect the battery's performance?

Using condensed water of an air conditioner can help improve the performance of certain types of batteries, such as lead-acid batteries. This is because the water contains minerals that can help replenish the battery's electrolyte solution, which is essential for the battery's function.

3. Is there a specific amount of condensed water that should be used to top up a battery?

The amount of condensed water needed to top up a battery will vary depending on the type and size of the battery. It is best to consult the manufacturer's instructions or a professional for guidance on the appropriate amount to use.

4. Can using condensed water of an air conditioner damage the battery?

If used properly and for the appropriate type of battery, using condensed water of an air conditioner should not damage the battery. However, using too much or using it for the wrong type of battery can potentially cause harm. It is important to follow proper instructions and use caution when using this method.

5. Are there any other benefits to using condensed water of an air conditioner for topping up batteries?

Aside from replenishing the battery's electrolyte solution, using condensed water from an air conditioner can also help reduce waste by repurposing water that would otherwise be discarded. It can also help save money by avoiding the purchase of distilled water for battery maintenance.