Using a self-coded neural network

In summary, the conversation discusses the development and use of a multi-layer perceptron for understanding and modifying underlying structures. The network has been successfully trained and the question now is how to use it with new inputs. The process involves presenting data to the inputs and evaluating its performance.
roldy
I developed a multi-layer perceptron so I could better understand the underlying structure as well as modify it easily versus MATLAB's nntoolbox generate code. I have successfully trained the network for a given set of inputs and targets. The question now is how do I use this trained network with a new set of inputs? I've looked everywhere and I can't seem to find out what procedure I need to take. Would this involve using the weights of the trained network somehow?

Technology news on Phys.org
A neural network has some inputs,
a set of neurons these inputs are connected to,
possibly a layer of neurons the outputs of the first layer of neurons is connected to,
and some outputs from the last layer.

So for training you presented your data items to the inputs one after another and adjusted the weights until it was trained. At that point the weights are fixed and do not change.

For testing the network you presented the same data items to the inputs one after another and looked at how well it did.

For a new set of inputs you present your data items to the inputs and look at how well it does.

Does that help?

Yes, thank you.

Related to Using a self-coded neural network

1. How does a self-coded neural network work?

A self-coded neural network is an artificial intelligence system that is programmed to mimic the way the human brain processes information. It is composed of multiple layers of interconnected nodes that process and analyze data, allowing it to make decisions and predictions based on patterns and relationships within the data.

2. What are the benefits of using a self-coded neural network?

One of the main benefits of using a self-coded neural network is its ability to learn and adapt to new information, making it more accurate and efficient over time. It also has the potential to handle complex and large datasets, making it suitable for a variety of tasks such as image and speech recognition, natural language processing, and prediction modeling.

3. Can anyone create a self-coded neural network?

Yes, anyone with programming knowledge and understanding of neural networks can create a self-coded neural network. However, it requires a significant amount of time, effort, and expertise to design and train a neural network that can effectively solve a specific problem.

4. How do you train a self-coded neural network?

The process of training a self-coded neural network involves feeding it with a large amount of data and adjusting the network's parameters to minimize errors and improve its accuracy. This is typically done through a process called backpropagation, where the network learns from its mistakes and updates its weights and biases accordingly.

5. Can a self-coded neural network be used for all types of problems?

While a self-coded neural network can handle a wide range of problems, it is not suitable for every task. It is best suited for problems that involve processing large amounts of data and identifying complex patterns. Other types of problems may require different types of artificial intelligence systems such as decision trees or rule-based systems.