Using a Force equation to find out how much WORK is done.

In summary: I'm not sure how to show that in the formatting.In summary, the conversation discusses a 2.0 kg block acted upon by a force formula that is dependent on the block's position along the horizontal axis. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the horizontal surface is also given. The question asks for the amount of work done by the force as the block moves from x=0m to x=2.0m. The force formula is given in component form and includes units of Newtons and meters. There is also confusion about the units in the j term of the formula.
Larin

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg block is acted on by the following force
Force=[(2N/m)x-(5N/m2)x2]{ihat}+[(13N/(1/m2)x2-(6/m)x+7)e-x^2/(2m^2)cos{(2∏)x/3m}]{jhat}

as the object moves horizontally along a surface. In the expression for the force, x indicates the position of the block along the horizontal axis. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the horizontal surface is 0.05. How much work does the given force do on the block as the block moves horizontally along the surface from x=0m to x=2.0m?N is Newtons
m is Meters

Homework Equations

I am not sure...

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not attempted it because I am not sure where to start at all!

Physics news on Phys.org
Force=[(2N/m)x-(5N/m2)x2]{ihat}+[(13N/(1/m2)x2-(6/m)x+7)e-x^2/(2m^2)cos{(2∏)x/3m}]{jhat}

What is the function?

That is the force function in component form. Force= (2Newtons/Meter)x...
I am not sure where to even start.

Okay, but where do I start if it is the integral F(x) dx?

Larin said:
A 2.0 kg block is acted on by the following force

As written, the way I parse it, your force formula looks like this:
[tex]F = \left [ 2\frac{N}{m}x-5\frac{N}{m^2}x^2 \right ]\,\hat i + \left[\left ( \frac{13 N}{\frac{1}{m^2}}x^2 - \frac{6}{m}x + 7 \right )e^{-\frac{x^2}{2 m^2}} cos(2 \pi \frac{x}{3 m})\right]\,\hat j [/tex]

The units don't look right for the coefficient of the j term.

I know that the 13N is over the entire 1/m^2x^2-6/mx+7

Related to Using a Force equation to find out how much WORK is done.

1. How is work defined in terms of a force equation?

In physics, work is defined as the product of the force applied on an object and the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement.

2. What is the unit of measurement for work in a force equation?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J). This is equivalent to a force of one newton (N) applied over a distance of one meter (m).

3. Can a force equation be used to find out how much work is done in any situation?

Yes, a force equation can be used to find out how much work is done in any situation as long as the force and displacement are known. This equation is applicable in various scenarios, including lifting objects, pushing or pulling a cart, and even in complex systems like engines and machines.

4. Is the direction of force important in a force equation when calculating work?

Yes, the direction of the force is important in a force equation when calculating work. Work is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and no direction. However, the force applied and the displacement must be in the same direction for the equation to be accurate.

5. How can a force equation be used to find out how much work is done by multiple forces?

To find out how much work is done by multiple forces, the work done by each individual force can be calculated using the force equation, and then the values can be added together to find the total work done. This is because work is a linear function and follows the principle of superposition.