Using a bimetallic coil to turn a pulley

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a bimetallic coil embedded inside a pulley to spin or rotate the pulley and the calculation of the thermal "spring constant" of the coil. The conversation also mentions devices with similar actuation mechanisms and examples of using bimetallic coils for heavier work.
ENgez
Hello,

I am looking at the possibility of turning a pulley using a bimetallic coil embedded inside.

How can I calculate the thermal "spring constant" of the coil, as a function of geometry and material properties?

Does anyone know of devices with similar actuation mechanisms?

thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ENgez said:
pulley using a bimetallic coil embedded inside.
... and, working against what? Sounds like a metal tape measure, but I can't describe that as a "pulley."

I attached an illustration to further clarify.

Will this work? If so, How can i calculate the angle of revolution as a function of temperature gradient?

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-27_0-6-28.png
    upload_2015-8-27_0-6-28.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 580
ENgez said:
similar actuation mechanisms?
http://www.coleparmer.com/Brand/Buy_More_Save_More_on_Bimetal_Thermometers/2262?referred_id=20965&gclid=CNvZ9anWx8cCFUGUfgodiFwCdA

Thank you for the reply.

I am aware that bimetallic coils are used to drive the needle in a thermometer.

What I am asking is if this concept can be used to do heavier work, like spin a pulley (wheel), and If there are examples of such mechanisms.

ENgez said:
like spin a pulley (wheel),
I keep tripping mentally over the word "spin." You say "spin," and I will think "rotate," and we'll proceed. "Carburetor stoves" are controlled by exhaust manifold dampers https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=exhaust+manifold+damper&tbm=shop
Number of turns in coil, plus size of counterweight, plus 90 degree rotation --- enough to go on?

Related to Using a bimetallic coil to turn a pulley

1. How does a bimetallic coil work to turn a pulley?

A bimetallic coil is made up of two different metals that have different rates of expansion when heated. As the coil is heated, one metal expands more than the other, causing the coil to bend or twist. This bending or twisting motion can then be used to turn a pulley.

2. What are the advantages of using a bimetallic coil to turn a pulley?

One advantage of using a bimetallic coil is its sensitivity to temperature changes. This allows for precise control of the pulley's motion. Additionally, bimetallic coils are durable and can withstand high temperatures, making them suitable for use in various environments.

3. Can a bimetallic coil be used to turn a pulley in both directions?

Yes, a bimetallic coil can be designed to turn a pulley in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions. This can be achieved by adjusting the composition and arrangement of the two metals in the coil.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting a bimetallic coil for a pulley system?

The selection of a bimetallic coil for a pulley system will depend on several factors, such as the required temperature range, the desired sensitivity and accuracy, and the size and weight of the pulley. It is essential to carefully consider these factors to ensure the proper functioning of the system.

5. Are there any potential limitations or drawbacks to using a bimetallic coil to turn a pulley?

One potential limitation of using a bimetallic coil is that it may not be suitable for high-speed or heavy-duty pulley systems. Additionally, the precision of the coil's motion may be affected by external factors such as vibrations or shocks. It is crucial to assess the specific requirements of the system before choosing a bimetallic coil for the pulley.