Use exact arithmetic to solve the following system?

In summary: 1/1000 and 1 appear on the left side of the matrix, and -1 and 1 appear on the right side of the matrix.
Math10

Homework Statement

Use exact arithmetic to solve the following system:

10-3x-y=1,
x+y=0.

Homework Equations

I know that 10-3=0.001.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's the work:

y=-x
10-3x+x=1
x(10-3+1)=1
x=1/(0.001+1)=1/1.001
y=-1/1.001 since y=-x

The answer for this problem is (1/1.001, -1/1.001) but this is a Linear Algebra problem. The work that I've shown above are Algebra 1 skills. I must use exact arithmetic to solve the system. How do I do so?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math10 said:

Homework Statement

Use exact arithmetic to solve the following system:

10-3x-y=1,
x+y=0.

Homework Equations

I know that 10-3=0.001.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's the work:

y=-x
10-3x+x=1
x(10-3+1)=1
x=1/(0.001+1)=1/1.001
y=-1/1.001 since y=-x

The answer for this problem is (1/1.001, -1/1.001) but this is a Linear Algebra problem. The work that I've shown above are Algebra 1 skills. I must use exact arithmetic to solve the system. How do I do so?

Do NOT use decimal; use exact fractions instead. Your original equations are
[tex] \frac{x}{1000} - y = 1 \\
x + y = 0[/tex]
So, of course, you have
[tex] \frac{x}{1000} + x = 1 \: \Longrightarrow \left( \frac{1}{1000} + 1 \right) x = 1[/tex]
Surely you can finish this!

Frankly, I don't see any problem with using 1.001. That's every bit exact as [itex]\frac{1001}{1000}[/itex].

If you had written something like 0.3333 for 1/3, then you would not be using "exact arithmetic".

HallsofIvy said:
Frankly, I don't see any problem with using 1.001. That's every bit exact as [itex]\frac{1001}{1000}[/itex].

If you had written something like 0.3333 for 1/3, then you would not be using "exact arithmetic".

I was trying to offer advice that would apply to any, general system, not just to the very special (and very simple) example case illustrated in the problem.

Is that the right way to use exact arithmetic to solve the system? No augmented matrix and Gauss-Jordan method involved?

Math10 said:
Is that the right way to use exact arithmetic to solve the system? No augmented matrix and Gauss-Jordan method involved?

No, you can use whatever method you want (Gaussian elimination, for example); it is just that instead of using decimal numbers in the procedure you use rationals throughout. For example, consider the system
[tex] 6 x + 8 y = 19\\
15 x - 9y = 12[/tex]
The augmented form is
[tex] \begin{array}{rr|r}
6 & 8 & 19\\
15 & -9 & 12
\end{array}[/tex]
After one stop of Gaussian elimination we have
[tex] \begin{array}{rr|r}
6 & 8 & 19\\
0 & -29 & -71/2
\end{array}[/tex]
Thus,
[tex]0 x - 29 y = -71/2 \: \Longrightarrow y = (-71/2)/(-29) = 71/58.[/tex] Also,
[tex] x = (1/6)[19 - 8y] \; \Longrightarrow x = (1/6)[19 - 8(71/58)] = 89/58.[/tex]

Last edited:
What do you mean to use rationals? Do you meant that I convert 10^-3 into a fraction?

So I set up the augmented matrix and I want to solve this system using Gauss-Jordan method.

1/1000 -1
1 1

Is this how I solve this problem with 1 and 0 after the straight line in the right?

Math10 said:
So I set up the augmented matrix and I want to solve this system using Gauss-Jordan method.

1/1000 -1
1 1

Is this how I solve this problem with 1 and 0 after the straight line in the right?

Do you know the matrix method? If so, use it to solve it with those numbers.

Related to Use exact arithmetic to solve the following system?

1. What is "exact arithmetic"?

"Exact arithmetic" refers to the use of mathematical operations and calculations that produce precise, accurate results without any rounding or estimation. This is in contrast to approximate arithmetic, which involves rounding numbers and can result in less precise solutions.

2. What is a "system" in this context?

In mathematics, a "system" refers to a collection of equations that are solved together to find a common solution. In this case, the system involves multiple equations that must be solved simultaneously.

3. Why is it important to use exact arithmetic in solving this system?

Using exact arithmetic is important in this context because it ensures that the solutions obtained are accurate and precise. This is especially important in scientific research, where even small errors in calculations can have significant implications.

4. How do I know if I have solved the system correctly using exact arithmetic?

If you have used exact arithmetic correctly, your solutions should satisfy all of the equations in the system. This means that when you substitute your solutions into each equation, the equations should still hold true. You can also check your answers using a calculator or by hand to verify their accuracy.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using exact arithmetic in this context?

One potential disadvantage of using exact arithmetic is that it may be more time-consuming and computationally intensive compared to using approximate arithmetic. Additionally, in some cases, using exact arithmetic may result in solutions that are more complex and difficult to work with. However, the accuracy and precision of the solutions make up for these potential drawbacks.