Upgrade PC133 Memory on IWILL VD133?

• Thread starter incognito41
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memory
In summary, the conversation is about upgrading an older computer with a PC133 memory and Celeron 500 MHz processor. The individual is looking for a compatible processor that runs at least 1 GHz. They mention their motherboard is an IWILL VD133 and ask for help in finding compatible processors. The expert suggests looking at the motherboard manual or doing further research online. They also suggest considering bigger upgrades, such as an AMD Athlon 2500+ with a Nforce2 motherboard and 512MB of RAM, which would be 5 times more powerful. The individual responds by mentioning they have looked into alternative upgrades and may end up replacing their motherboard, CPU, memory, and hard drive. They mention finding a good deal at Fry's
incognito41
Forgive the antiquated technology, but here's the question. I have a computer that still uses PC133 memory and all that entails and myy processor is a celeron and runs at 500 MHz. Do they still make compatible processors that i could upgrade to? Something running at least 1 GHz? I'm not sure how many pins the thing has and all i know is that my mother board is an IWILL VD133. If anyone can help i would appreciate it.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The most you could possibly get out of that is 1ghz, but you'll want to find your motherboard manual to be sure exactly what it can handle. If you don't have it, google it.

You should seriously consider bigger upgrades, though that depends on how comfortable you are with essentially building a new computer. See, when components get past a certain age, they stop getting cheaper. So, a p3 1ghz (assuming it'll run on your system) costs roughly $77 while a p4 1.9ghz costs about $104. If price is really important, for about $275, you could get an AMD Athlon 2500+ ($77), a decent Nforce2 motherboard (~$100 depending on options) and 512MB of fast ram ($85). Thats roughly 5x the horsepower you have now.

I've looked into alternative upgrades. I really don't need a super computer, but i was just looking at whether or not processors like that might still be out there. it's possible i will end up gutting my current computer and only replacing the motherboard/cpu, memory and HD. Fry's electronics has a mother/processor combo for $65 every once and a while. I've looked up both and they seem to be rated pretty well. they obviously won't go up against the latest but it's certainly better than my aging computer. thanks for the help.

Related to Upgrade PC133 Memory on IWILL VD133?

1. How much memory can I upgrade on my IWILL VD133 motherboard?

The IWILL VD133 motherboard supports a maximum of 1GB of memory. This can be achieved by installing two 512MB PC133 SDRAM modules.

2. What type of memory do I need to upgrade on my IWILL VD133 motherboard?

The IWILL VD133 motherboard requires PC133 SDRAM memory modules for upgrades. It is important to note that other types of memory, such as DDR or DDR2, are not compatible with this motherboard.

3. How many memory slots are available for upgrades on the IWILL VD133 motherboard?

The IWILL VD133 motherboard has two memory slots available for upgrades. Each slot can hold a maximum of 512MB PC133 SDRAM, for a total of 1GB of memory.

4. Do I need to make any changes to the BIOS when upgrading memory on the IWILL VD133 motherboard?

In most cases, no changes need to be made to the BIOS when upgrading memory on the IWILL VD133 motherboard. However, it is always recommended to check the motherboard manual or contact the manufacturer for specific instructions.

5. Can I mix different sizes of memory modules when upgrading on the IWILL VD133 motherboard?

No, it is not recommended to mix different sizes of memory modules when upgrading on the IWILL VD133 motherboard. It is best to use two identical modules for optimal performance and stability.