Unraveling the Mystery of Time: Exploring the Big Bang Theory

In summary, time was created at the big bang and according to science, nothing can happen without time. We don't know how the big bang happened or if it was a real event, and this is an area of unknown for science. Counterquestioning can be a valid technique in professional debates, but the burden of proof lies on the one making the statement. Science deals with the unknown and seeks to understand the natural world, not the supernatural. However, there are limitations to our understanding, such as below the Planck level, where the unknown may seem like the supernatural. The thread has been locked due to a lack of suitable references.
enquirealways
Time was created at big bang.

Science says, Nothing can happen without time.

Then,

How did bigbang happen, when there was no time prior to it.

Space news on Phys.org
enquirealways said:
Science says, Nothing can happen without time.

Where does science say that?

enquirealways said:
How did bigbang happen, when there was no time prior to it.

We don't know how the big bang happened. We don't even know if the big bang was a real event or just a result of our incomplete knowledge of physics at the energies and densities of the very early universe.

Nugatory said:
Where does science say that?

Please give examples, where science doesn't say that.

By the way, counter questioning is not a good way to satisfy somebody's curiosity.

Drakkith said:
We don't know how the big bang happened. We don't even know if the big bang was a real event or just a result of our incomplete knowledge of physics at the energies and densities of the very early universe.

Then can it be said that all science basically deals with the supernatural/unknown/unknowable, given the present status of knowledge regarding the origin of our universe?

enquirealways said:
Please give examples, where science doesn't say that.

No, this is not how this forum works. If you make the statement, then you need to back that up. So please provide references where science says something like that.

This is like I'm accusing you of beating your wife, you saying no and then me asking to prove that you didn't. It's not correct. The burden of proof would be on me, not on you.

And counterquestioning is a perfectly valid technique. I don't really see what's wrong with it. He just asked you to clarify your position, how is that a bad thing.

So please provide an example where science says anything like you implied in the OP.

enquirealways said:
Then can it be said that all science basically deals with the supernatural/unknown/unknowable, given the present status of knowledge regarding the origin of our universe?

I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that science deals with the supernatural. The universe exists and is (by definition almost) natural.

It's true that science deals with the unkown. That's the very nature of science, to try to know more about the world!

micromass said:
No, this is not how this forum works. If you make the statement, then you need to back that up. So please provide references where science says something like that.

This is like I'm accusing you of beating your wife, you saying no and then me asking to prove that you didn't. It's not correct. The burden of proof would be on me, not on you.

And counterquestioning is a perfectly valid technique. I don't really see what's wrong with it. He just asked you to clarify your position, how is that a bad thing.

So please provide an example where science says anything like you implied in the OP.

I am not a scientist who is debating something, i am a layman and i think this forum is for everyone. If not, do tell me.

As regards counterquestioning, it should be used in professional debates only. To go by your logic, nugatory should ask me the following questions also.

1. Who says time was created at big bang?

2. Where does science say, big bang happened?

3. Give the definition of time first.

This way, no discussion can proceed.

micromass said:
I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that science deals with the supernatural. The universe exists and is (by definition almost) natural.

It's true that science deals with the unkown. That's the very nature of science, to try to know more about the world!

When science says ( now don't ask me where it says so) that, in principle we cannot know below the plank level, the unknown does become the supernatural.

Related to Unraveling the Mystery of Time: Exploring the Big Bang Theory

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How long ago did the Big Bang occur?

The Big Bang is estimated to have occurred approximately 13.8 billion years ago.

3. What evidence supports the Big Bang theory?

Some key pieces of evidence for the Big Bang theory include the observed expansion of the universe, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the abundance of light elements such as hydrogen and helium in the universe.

4. How does the Big Bang relate to the concept of time?

The Big Bang theory suggests that time began at the moment of the Big Bang. Before the Big Bang, there was no concept of time as we know it. Time is considered to be a fundamental property of the universe that began with the expansion of the universe.

5. What is the future of the universe according to the Big Bang theory?

According to the Big Bang theory, the universe will continue to expand and cool until eventually all matter is spread out and the universe reaches a state of maximum entropy. This is known as the "heat death" of the universe.