Unknown android icon...what do you think?

• Thread starter Chud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Android
In summary, the conversation pertains to a mystery icon that appears on the upper left side of the phone when the hotspot is turned on. The individual is seeking assistance in identifying the icon and determining its purpose. After consulting the phone's manual and various troubleshooting methods, it is discovered that the icon is a system icon for hotspot options and is not removable. The conversation ends with a suggestion to contact the manufacturer for further assistance.
Chud
Whenever I turn on my hotspot, the hotspot icon appears but then second later this icon appears on upper left side. Anyone know what it is by any chance?
(the pic isn't screenshot obviously, but the icon looks identical to this. (the grey background = phone wallpaper)
I guess its related to hotspot but it must mean something additional to the regular hotspot icon right? thanks!
ICON.jpg

Attachments

• ICON.jpg
    ICON.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 542
Computer science news on Phys.org
Will it be possible to post a screenshot of the notification? Maybe you can darken out your wallpaper if privacy is your issue.

Generally I have a different icon for hotspot:

Screenshot_20190321-093037.png

But these do differ with mobile companies. Which phone are you using?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190321-093037.png
    Screenshot_20190321-093037.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 494
thanks for replying. Its not privacy issue I just can't be bothered to sreenshot then upload. But the icon is precisely as i drew it. It shows up in upper left corner second after the hotspot icon appears. Kinda weird right?

The phone is a NUU A5L.. thanks!

Is the icon like this: (colour may vary)
Screenshot_20190321-104013.jpg

If yes, then your company's manual says it's location: (page 9)
Screenshot_20190321-104013.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190321-104013.jpg
    Screenshot_20190321-104013.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 581
  • Screenshot_20190321-104013.png
    Screenshot_20190321-104013.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 560
Tom.G said:
That link doesn't work for me. It redirects back to the page I was on. (right here!)
That was a pdf, I copied the link from google search.

The file has been attached.

Attachments

• nu2s-user-manual_compressed.pdf
    893.2 KB · Views: 312
Likes Tom.G
Thanks for the pdf! I didnt even think of looking in a manual. I just went through whole thing though and there is no icon that matches. Any other ideas by any chance? Thanks again!

Also I reset phone and it still shows up after turning on hotspot

Chud said:
Thanks for the pdf! I didnt even think of looking in a manual. I just went through whole thing though and there is no icon that matches. Any other ideas by any chance? Thanks again!
Unknown apps/malware? Go to Application manager under Settings, select Show System Apps (there should be an option), and check if it matches any app icon.

thanks I just checked all the apps with system checked and still no match.. Wouldnt reseting get rid of malware? Also I looked on this exhaustive glossary and it didnt match anything. thanks if you have any more ideas

Likes Wrichik Basu
Chud said:
thanks I just checked all the apps with system checked and still no match.. Wouldnt reseting get rid of malware? Also I looked on this exhaustive glossary and it didnt match anything. thanks if you have any more ideas
That's quite frustrating! By the way, which android version are you using?

thanks for all the help Wrichik (and TomG.) , I ended up calling manufacturer and it is an andoird system icon for hotspot options. I didnt think of this at the time but when you pull the drop down its right there and it says "android system" along with tethering info. But I think its overkill because there's already the hotspot icon but whatever...mystery icon solved. thanks for troubleshooting

Likes Wrichik Basu
Chud said:
thanks for all the help Wrichik (and TomG.) , I ended up calling manufacturer and it is an andoird system icon for hotspot options. I didnt think of this at the time but when you pull the drop down its right there and it says "android system" along with tethering info. But I think its overkill because there's already the hotspot icon but whatever...mystery icon solved. thanks for troubleshooting
Weird. I never saw an Android system icon on activating hotspot. Anyways, all's well that ends well.

Chud said:
But I think its overkill because there's already the hotspot icon but whatever...
Maybe see if you can change the configuration of the 'hotspot' app to get rid of it. If not, call the manufacturer again; at least that way they will know it's an annoyance.

Cheers,
Tom

Related to Unknown android icon...what do you think?

What does the unknown android icon represent?

The unknown android icon is usually a symbol or image that represents a feature, function, or app on an Android device. It may also represent a system notification, such as a new message or update.

Why is there an unknown android icon on my device?

The unknown android icon may appear on your device due to a new app or update that you have installed. It could also be a system notification that you have not yet seen before. If you are unsure, you can check your device's notification center for more information.

Can the unknown android icon be harmful?

In most cases, the unknown android icon is not harmful and is simply a representation of a feature or notification on your device. However, if you have recently downloaded a new app and are unsure of its source or intentions, it is always best to do some research and potentially uninstall the app if it seems suspicious.

How do I get rid of the unknown android icon?

The best way to get rid of the unknown android icon is to determine its source and purpose. If it is a system notification, simply click on it to view the message or update. If it is from an app, you can either open the app or uninstall it if you no longer want it on your device.

Can I customize the unknown android icon?

It is not possible to customize the unknown android icon as it is typically a representation of a feature or notification on your device. However, you can customize the icons of specific apps by changing your device's theme or using a third-party app launcher.