Universal gravitation 3- determine the mass of the Earth

In summary, the mass of the Earth can be determined using Kepler's 3rd law and the Universal Law of Gravitation. By using the given values for the moon's orbit and the Earth's gravitational force, the mass of the Earth is calculated to be approximately 2.167x10^28 kg. However, there may be some uncertainty due to the assumption of circular motion.
dani123

Homework Statement

The moon orbits the Earth at a distance of 3.84x108m from the centre of Earth. The moon has a period of about 27.3 days. From these values, determine the mass of the Earth.

Homework Equations

Kepler's 3rd law: (Ta/Tb)2=(Ra/Rb)3

motion of planets must conform to circular motion equation: Fc=4∏2mR/T2

From Kepler's 3rd law: R3/T2=K or T2=R3/K

Gravitational force of attraction between the sun and its orbiting planets: F=(4∏2Ks)*m/R2=Gmsm/R2

Gravitational force of attraction between the Earth and its orbiting satelittes: F=(4∏2Ke)m/R2=Gmem/R2

Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation: F=Gm1m2/d2

value of universal gravitation constant is: G=6.67x10-11N*m2/kg2

weight of object on or near Earth: weight=Fg=mog, where g=9.8 N/kg
Fg=Gmome/Re2

g=Gme/(Re)2

determine the mass of the Earth: me=g(Re)2/G

speed of satellite as it orbits the Earth: v=√GMe/R, where R=Re+h

period of the Earth-orbiting satellite: T=2∏√R3/GMe

Field strength in units N/kg: g=F/m

Determine mass of planet when given orbital period and mean orbital radius: Mp=4∏2Rp3/GTp2

The Attempt at a Solution

So used mE=g(RE)2/G and i was confused as to which value to use for RE... do I use the Earth's radius or do I use the distance from the centre of the Earth to moon that is given in the problem...

If i use the value they give in the problem and g=9.8 I would obtain
mE=2.167x1028kg

Does this seem right? If someone could correct me if I am wrong here, that would be greatly appreciated... thanks so much in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see, I think it's proably okay to assume that the moon is moving in a circle around the Earth at a constant speed. If that's true, do you know any formulae for the centripetal force that must be acting on a mass doing uniform circular motion? Wouldn't that be exactly equal to the size of the gravitational force between the Earth and the moon?

Related to Universal gravitation 3- determine the mass of the Earth

1. How was the concept of universal gravitation first discovered?

The concept of universal gravitation was first discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century. He observed the motion of planets and their moons, and concluded that there must be a force acting between them to keep them in their respective orbits.

2. What is the formula for calculating the force of gravity between two objects?

The formula for calculating the force of gravity between two objects is F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. How can the mass of the Earth be determined using universal gravitation?

The mass of the Earth can be determined using universal gravitation by measuring the acceleration due to gravity (g) at the surface of the Earth and using the formula g = G * M / r^2, where M is the mass of the Earth and r is the radius of the Earth. By rearranging this equation, the mass of the Earth can be calculated as M = g * r^2 / G.

4. What is the significance of determining the mass of the Earth?

Determining the mass of the Earth is significant because it is a fundamental constant in understanding and predicting the motion of objects in the universe. It also allows us to understand the Earth's gravitational pull on other objects and its role in keeping the Earth and other planets in their orbits around the sun.

5. How accurate is the current estimate of the mass of the Earth?

The current estimate of the mass of the Earth is highly accurate, with a margin of error of only about 0.02%. This is due to advancements in technology and techniques used to measure the acceleration due to gravity and the radius of the Earth. As our understanding and technology continue to improve, the accuracy of the estimate may also increase.