Universal Generators: Get Clarifications on Electrical Engineering Concepts

In summary, the conversation discusses universal motors and how they work. It is explained that a universal motor has both the stator and rotor as electromagnets, and when the AC current reverses, the torque remains in the same direction. It is also noted that an ordinary DC motor can work with AC but not efficiently. The universal motor is essentially a DC motor that has been improved to work efficiently with AC.
garybuseyrulz
Hello to anyone out there. I am new to this board and I would like to have clarifications on some electrical engineering concepts that I've been confused about.

The first question i have is in regards to universal motors. I'm confused about how it works?? I realize that if you replace a stationary magnet with an electromagnet and connect either a DC or AC source, it will work. My question is mainly how it works? Maybe I'm just missing something. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Imagine two bar magnets mounted, one above the other, on a vertical axle so that they can spin around but remain separated (poles spinning in horizontal circle). At a given angle between magnets there will be a torque due to opposite poles attracting and like poles repelling. Now imagine reversing the poles on *one* of the magnets. The torque will be reversed right? Now imagine reversing poles on both magnets. The torque will remain unchanged. In a universal motor, both the stator and the rotor are electromagnets, and when the AC current reverses it simply reverses both stator and rotor poles leaving the torque in the same direction.
Actually an ordinary DC motor (with stator and rotor electromagnets) will work with AC as well, just not very efficiently (eddy currents and stuff). The universal motor is really just a DC motor that has been enhanced to work efficiently with AC.

Yes! Thank you so much for that.

Related to Universal Generators: Get Clarifications on Electrical Engineering Concepts

What is a universal generator?

A universal generator is an electrical machine that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is also known as a dynamo or generator.

How does a universal generator work?

A universal generator works on the principle of electromagnetic induction. It consists of a rotating armature and a stationary set of conductors, also known as a stator. As the armature rotates, it creates a changing magnetic field that induces an electric current in the stator.

What are the applications of a universal generator?

A universal generator has a wide range of applications in various industries, including power generation, transportation, and manufacturing. It is used to produce electricity in power plants, to power vehicles such as cars and trains, and to generate electricity in wind turbines and hydroelectric dams.

What are the main components of a universal generator?

The main components of a universal generator include the rotor (rotating part), the stator (stationary part), the commutator, the brushes, and the field winding. The rotor and stator are the primary components responsible for converting energy, while the commutator and brushes help to maintain the flow of electricity.

What are the differences between a universal generator and an alternator?

While both a universal generator and an alternator are used to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, they differ in their construction and the type of current they produce. A universal generator has a rotating armature and produces direct current (DC), while an alternator has a stationary armature and produces alternating current (AC).