Unitarity of Time-evolution Operator

In summary, the conversation discusses the time-evolution operator U(t,t_0) in quantum mechanics and its important property of unitarity, which follows from probability conservation. The question is raised on how to explicitly prove this relationship between unitarity and probability conservation. The reference to Wigner's theorem and its application in the book by Fonda and Ghirardi is mentioned. The experts provide a general idea of using the conservation of probability and Wigner's theorem to show that the time-evolution operator must be either linear and unitary or antilinear and antiunitary.
kiwakwok
I am reading a quantum mechanics book. I did not clearly understand one particular idea.

When the book talks about the time-evolution operator [itex]U(t,t_0)[/itex], it says that one very important property is the unitary requirement for [itex]U(t,t_0)[/itex] that follows from probability conservation.

My question is, provided that the time-evoluation operator [itex]U(t,t_0)[/itex] satisfies the unitary requirement, that is, [itex]U(t,t_0)^{\dagger}U(t,t_0)=\mathbb{1}[/itex], how can I see and then proof explicitly that it indeed follows from probability conservation, that is, [itex]\sum_{a'}\left|c_{a'}(t_0)\right|^2=\sum_{a'}\left|c_{a'}(t)\right|^2[/itex]?

Thanks in advance for giving me a helping hand.

Reference: P.67, Modern Quantum Mechanics by Sakurai.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is typically contained in the discussion of the Wigner's theorem in textbooks treating symmetries in Quantum Theory. Look up this subject in the book by Fonda and Ghirardi (1970).

kiwakwok said:
My question is, provided that the time-evoluation operator [itex]U(t,t_0)[/itex] satisfies the unitary requirement, that is, [itex]U(t,t_0)^{\dagger}U(t,t_0)=\mathbb{1}[/itex], how can I see and then proof explicitly that it indeed follows from probability conservation, that is, [itex]\sum_{a'}\left|c_{a'}(t_0)\right|^2=\sum_{a'}\left|c_{a'}(t)\right|^2[/itex]?

I don't know what you're ca's are, but the general idea is the following

[tex]\langle \psi|\psi\rangle = 1\;\Rightarrow\;\langle \psi,t|\psi,t\rangle =
\langle U\psi|U\psi\rangle = ( \langle \psi|U^\dagger)\,(U|\psi \rangle ) = \langle \psi|(U^\dagger\,U)|\psi \rangle = \langle \psi|\psi\rangle = 1[/tex]

I read few pages of the book by Fonda and simply ensure that I am really understand.

Quote:
--- --- --- --- ---
Wigner's Theorem
Suppose that we have chosen a particular one-to-one vector mapping [itex]T[/itex] compatible with [itex]\mathbf{T}[/itex], of the coherent subspace [itex]\mathcal{H}_c[/itex] onto the coherent subspace [itex]\mathcal{H}_c[/itex], satisfying then [itex]\left|\left(T\psi,T\phi\right)\right|=\left|(\psi,\phi)\right|[/itex]
--- --- --- --- ---

From the conservation of probability, that is [itex]{\left|\left(U\psi,U\phi\right)\right|}^{2}=\left|(\psi,\phi)\right|^2[/itex], according to the Wigner's theorem we obtain that ray mapping [itex]\mathbf{T}[/itex] can be realized by a linear unitary vector mapping [itex]U[/itex].

tom.stoer said:
I don't know what you're ca's are, but the general idea is the following

[tex]\langle \psi|\psi\rangle = 1\;\Rightarrow\;\langle \psi,t|\psi,t\rangle =
\langle U\psi|U\psi\rangle = ( \langle \psi|U^\dagger)\,(U|\psi \rangle ) = \langle \psi|(U^\dagger\,U)|\psi \rangle = \langle \psi|\psi\rangle = 1[/tex]

Nice. Thanks.

The c_a's are the typical notation for the Fourier coefficients.

From the Wigner theorem you get that the U's can be either linear and unitary or antilinear and antiunitary. Since time evolution is a continuous process/symmetry, it follows that the operators must be unitary.

dextercioby and tom.stoer, thanks very much.

Related to Unitarity of Time-evolution Operator

1. What is the concept of unitarity in time-evolution operators?

Unitarity refers to the property of a time-evolution operator where the inner product of any two states remains unchanged after the operator acts on them. In other words, the total probability of all possible outcomes must always add up to 1.

2. Why is unitarity important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, unitarity ensures that the total probability of all possible outcomes is conserved, making it a fundamental principle of the theory. It also guarantees that the laws of quantum mechanics are reversible, allowing us to predict the evolution of a system both forward and backward in time.

3. How is the unitarity of a time-evolution operator mathematically expressed?

The unitarity of a time-evolution operator is expressed through the condition that its inverse is equal to its adjoint operator. In other words, the product of the operator and its adjoint must result in the identity operator, which represents no change in the system.

4. What happens if a time-evolution operator is not unitary?

If a time-evolution operator is not unitary, then it violates the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. This can lead to inconsistencies and contradictions in the predictions made by the theory.

5. Can the unitarity of a time-evolution operator be violated in certain cases?

No, unitarity is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and cannot be violated. However, some approximations and simplifications used in calculations may lead to non-unitary time-evolution operators. In such cases, these operators can be corrected using methods such as renormalization.