Uniform Acceleration-Algebraically

• Thread starter alit00
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uniform
In summary: Vf= 5.00m/s east and x=19.6m. You can use the time in the definition to solve for the acceleration.In summary, the object was displaced 19.6 meters east while uniformly accelerating from rest. The average velocity of the object was 5.00 meters per second east.
alit00
b]1. Homework Statement [/b]

An object was displaced 19.6 m east while uniformly accelerating from rest. If the average velocity of the object was 5.00 m/s east, what was the rate of acceleration?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So my Vo=0
Vf= 5.00m/s east
x=19.6m

I need to calculate acceleration. Which equation do I use and how would I manipulate it?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of average velocity? Can you extract a time from this definition and the given information?

If you know the time and the distance traveled, do you know of a kinematic equation that relates them to the acceleration?

gneill said:
What is the definition of average velocity? Can you extract a time from this definition and the given information?

If you know the time and the distance traveled, do you know of a kinematic equation that relates them to the acceleration?

I don't believe I can extract a time from the problem. I tried using Vf^2 = V0^2 + 2ax. I do not know how to isolate the a. Can you help? My average velocity is my final velocity in this problem, is that correct?

alit00 said:
I don't believe I can extract a time from the problem. I tried using Vf^2 = V0^2 + 2ax. I do not know how to isolate the a. Can you help? My average velocity is my final velocity in this problem, is that correct?

You can extract a time. Go back to your notes and find the definition of average velocity.

gneill said:
You can extract a time. Go back to your notes and find the definition of average velocity.

Average velocity is displacement/time. Would my time be 3.92s?

alit00 said:
Average velocity is displacement/time. I do not have a time in this case.

You have the average velocity and you have the displacement...

gneill said:
You have the average velocity and you have the displacement...

I still do not understand. I tried every equation and am not getting the answer

alit00 said:
I still do not understand. I tried every equation and am not getting the answer

Look at the definition for average velocity. Can you identify the time variable in the definition?
Isolate the time variable in the equation.

Related to Uniform Acceleration-Algebraically

What is uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is a type of motion where the velocity of an object changes at a constant rate. This means that the object's speed increases or decreases by the same amount over equal periods of time.

What is the formula for calculating uniform acceleration?

The formula for calculating uniform acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

How is uniform acceleration represented graphically?

Uniform acceleration is represented by a straight line on a velocity-time graph. The slope of the line represents the acceleration.

What is the difference between uniform acceleration and non-uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is when the acceleration remains constant, while non-uniform acceleration is when the acceleration changes at a non-constant rate. This means that the speed of an object undergoing non-uniform acceleration changes at a varying rate over time.

How is uniform acceleration used in real life?

Uniform acceleration is used in many real-life situations, such as a car driving at a constant speed, a ball being thrown straight up in the air, or a rollercoaster going down a straight track. It is also used in physics experiments to study the effects of acceleration on various objects.