Understanding the use of a figure in thermodynamics.

In summary, the conversation was about an equation found on a forum for calculating the time it takes for ice to melt. The equation contained a value for water's "Lf" which was different from what is typically found on the internet. The person was wondering which value was correct and someone else pointed out that it was just a simple rounding difference due to converting from "per kg" to "per g." The issue was resolved.
Mbywater94
I came across an equation used in one of the forums from a few years ago.

Found here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/calculate-how-long-it-will-take-for-the-ice-to-melt.531908/

I am researching a similar topic into melting ice and using it as a cooling solution.

However when i came across this equation everything was done correctly but a figure stuck out.

Why is the value of water's "Lf = 3.35 × 105 J kg-1" when in all other areas of the internet it is valued at 334 j / g?

I want to use this method to solve my own issue with a container but which value is correct for this equation?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Science news on Phys.org
Converting from "per kg" to "per g" means dividing by 1000. If you divide 3.35 times 105 by 1000, you get 335. Are you asking about the difference between 335 and 334? Sounds like a simple rounding difference.

Likes Mbywater94
Ken G said:
Converting from "per kg" to "per g" means dividing by 1000. If you divide 3.35 times 105 by 1000, you get 335. Are you asking about the difference between 335 and 334? Sounds like a simple rounding difference.
I see my error, yes it is a simple rounding difference. It just threw me off a first glance, its been a long night hehe! Problem solved!

Related to Understanding the use of a figure in thermodynamics.

What is a figure in thermodynamics?

A figure in thermodynamics is a visual representation, typically a graph or chart, that is used to illustrate a concept or data related to thermodynamics. This can include variables such as temperature, pressure, and energy.

Why are figures used in thermodynamics?

Figures are used in thermodynamics to help visualize and understand complex concepts and data. They can also be used to compare different variables or experimental results.

How do I interpret a figure in thermodynamics?

To interpret a figure in thermodynamics, you need to understand the variables and their units that are being represented, as well as the relationship between them. It is important to also look at the axes and any labels or legends to fully understand the information being presented.

What are the common types of figures used in thermodynamics?

The most common types of figures used in thermodynamics include temperature vs. time graphs, pressure vs. volume graphs, and energy diagrams. Other types may include phase diagrams, heat flow diagrams, and thermodynamic cycles.

How can figures be used to solve problems in thermodynamics?

Figures can be used to solve problems in thermodynamics by providing a visual representation of the data and variables involved. They can help identify trends, determine relationships between variables, and make predictions or calculations based on the information presented.