Understanding the Radius of Convergence of e^x and its Series Expansion

In summary: Nerd)In summary, the conversation discusses the method of finding the radius of convergence for a series using the ratio test, which compares the growth rates of the numerator and denominator. The limit is taken to determine if the series converges absolutely or not, with different outcomes depending on the value of the limit. The conversation also includes an informal explanation of why the series $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}$ has a radius of convergence of $+\infty$ using the fact that $x^n$ increases polynomically and $n!$ increases exponentially. Furthermore, the conversation shows how the ratio test can be applied to find the radius of convergence for a specific series, such as
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

$$e^x= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!} \forall x \in \mathbb{R}$$

i.e. the radius of convergence of $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}$ is $+\infty$.

Could you explain me how we deduce that the radius of convergence of $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}$ is $+\infty$?

Do we use the definition, that is the following?

$$R= \frac{1}{\limsup_{n \to +\infty} \sqrt[n]{|a_n|}}$$

If so how can we find the limit $\limsup \sqrt[n]{\frac{1}{n!}}$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey! (Talking)

Informally, $x^n$ increases polynomically, while $n!$ increases exponentially (Stirling's approximation), so the series of their quotient will converge for any $x$. (Nerd)

As is often helpful with factorials (and square roots) you can try taking the logarithm to find the limit:
$$\log \left ( \limsup \sqrt[n]{\frac{1}{n!}} \right ) = \limsup \log \left ( \sqrt[n]{\frac{1}{n!}} \right ) = \limsup \frac{-\log{n!}}{n}$$
Now observe that:
$$\log{n!} = \log{1} + \log{2} + \cdots + \log{n} \leq n \log{n}$$
Can you conclude?

I like Serena said:
Hey! (Talking)

Informally, $x^n$ increases polynomically, while $n!$ increases exponentially (Stirling's approximation), so the series of their quotient will converge for any $x$. (Nerd)

Could you explain me further why we deduce from the above that the series converges for any $x$? (Thinking)

Bacterius said:
As is often helpful with factorials (and square roots) you can try taking the logarithm to find the limit:
$$\log \left ( \limsup \sqrt[n]{\frac{1}{n!}} \right ) = \limsup \log \left ( \sqrt[n]{\frac{1}{n!}} \right ) = \limsup \frac{-\log{n!}}{n}$$
Now observe that:
$$\log{n!} = \log{1} + \log{2} + \cdots + \log{n} \leq n \log{n}$$
Can you conclude?

So is it as follows?

$- \frac{\log{n!}}{n} \geq - \log n \Rightarrow \limsup \left( - \frac{\log{n!}}{n}\right) \geq \limsup(\log n)=-\liminf \log n$

I think you could also use the ratio test to show that it converges for all $x$.

evinda said:
So is it as follows?

$- \frac{\log{n!}}{n} \geq - \log n \Rightarrow \limsup \left( - \frac{\log{n!}}{n}\right) \geq \limsup(\log n)=-\liminf \log n$

no... we have that the logarithm of the limit is $\leq \lim_{n \to \infty} - \log{n}$, so the limit is $\leq \lim_{n \to \infty} e^{-\log{n}} = \lim_{n \to \infty} 1/n = 0$. hence the radius of convergence is infinite.

EDIT: forgot inequality signs

evinda said:
Could you explain me further why we deduce from the above that the series converges for any $x$? (Thinking)

As I said, it is informal. (Angel)
An exponential series increases so much faster than a polynomial series, that both the sequence and the series of their quotient converge.

Formally, as Rido said, you can use the ratio test to prove it. (Wasntme)

I like Serena said:
Formally, as Rido said, you can use the ratio test to prove it. (Wasntme)

$\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}= \frac{\frac{1}{(n+1)!}}{\frac{1}{n!}}=\frac{n!}{(n+1)!}=\frac{1}{n+1} \to 0$

What can we deduce from that? (Thinking)

evinda said:
$\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}= \frac{\frac{1}{(n+1)!}}{\frac{1}{n!}}=\frac{n!}{(n+1)!}=\frac{1}{n+1} \to 0$

What can we deduce from that? (Thinking)

Shouldn't that be:
$$\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}= \frac{\frac{x^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}}{\frac{x^n}{n!}}$$
? (Wondering)

From wikipedia:
[box=yellow]The usual form of the test makes use of the limit
$$L = \lim_{n\to\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|.$$
The ratio test states that:
  • if L < 1 then the series converges absolutely;
  • if L > 1 then the series does not converge;
  • if L = 1 or the limit fails to exist, then the test is inconclusive, because there exist both convergent and divergent series that satisfy this case.
[/box]
Proof is easy enough, since it basically says that a geometric series will dominate the series. (Emo)

I like Serena said:
Shouldn't that be:
$$\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}= \frac{\frac{x^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}}{\frac{x^n}{n!}}$$
? (Wondering)

From wikipedia:
  • if L = 1 or the limit fails to exist, then the test is inconclusive, because there exist both convergent and divergent series that satisfy this case.
[/box]
Proof is easy enough, since it basically says that a geometric series will dominate the series. (Emo)

So is it as follows?$$\left|\frac{\frac{x^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}}{\frac{x^n}{n!}} \right|=\left| \frac{x^{n+1} n!}{x^n (n+1)!}\right|=\left| \frac{x}{n+1} \right| \to 0<1$$

and so the series converges for all $x \in \mathbb{R}$.

Or have I done something wrong? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
From wikipedia:
[/box]

Also, if we would like to calculate the radius of convergence of $p(x)=-\frac{2x}{1-x^2}= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-2) x^{2n+1}$ we would have the following, right?$$\left| \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} \right|=\left| \frac{(-2) x^{2(n+1)+1}}{(-2) x^{2n+1}} \right|=\left| \frac{x^{2n+3}}{x^{2n+1}}\right|=|x^2|$$

So that the series converges absolutely, it has to hold $|x^2|<1 \Rightarrow 0<x^2<1 \Rightarrow -1<x<1 \Rightarrow |x|<1$.

So do we deduce from $|x|<1$ that the radius of convergence is $1$? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Also, if we would like to calculate the radius of convergence of $p(x)=-\frac{2x}{1-x^2}= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-2) x^{2n+1}$ we would have the following, right?$$\left| \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} \right|=\left| \frac{(-2) x^{2(n+1)+1}}{(-2) x^{2n+1}} \right|=\left| \frac{x^{2n+3}}{x^{2n+1}}\right|=|x^2|$$

So that the series converges absolutely, it has to hold $|x^2|<1 \Rightarrow 0<x^2<1 \Rightarrow -1<x<1 \Rightarrow |x|<1$.

Yep, that is correct.

evinda said:
So is it as follows?$$\left|\frac{\frac{x^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}}{\frac{x^n}{n!}} \right|=\left| \frac{x^{n+1} n!}{x^n (n+1)!}\right|=\left| \frac{x}{n+1} \right| \to 0<1$$

and so the series converges for all $x \in \mathbb{R}$.

Or have I done something wrong? (Thinking)

Yep. (Nod)

evinda said:

Yep. (Nod)

Small correction: if the series converges absolutely, it has to hold $|x^2|<1$ or $|x^2|=1$.
In the first case it is guaranteed, in the second case it is inconclusive. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Yep. (Nod)

So in this case is the radius of converge $+\infty$ ? (Thinking)
I like Serena said:
Small correction: if the series converges absolutely, it has to hold $|x^2|<1$ or $|x^2|=1$.
In the first case it is guaranteed, in the second case it is inconclusive. (Nerd)

If $|x^2|=1$ then:

$$ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-2) x^{2n+1}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-2) (x^{2})^nx= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-2) x=-2x \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} 1 \to +\infty $$

And so the series does not converge for $|x^2|=1$ and the radius of convergence is $1$, right?So always if we have a power series that is defined for $x \in (-R,R)$ and we find from the ratio test that $\left| \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} \right|<1$ we deduce that the radius of convergence is $R$ ? (Thinking)
Or have I understood it wrong?

Note that if $x$ is complex, $\lvert x^2 \rvert = 1$ does not imply $x^2 = 1$.

Bacterius said:
Note that if $x$ is complex, $\lvert x^2 \rvert = 1$ does not imply $x^2 = 1$.

I see... (Smile)

- - - Updated - - -

If we have a power series of the form $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n$ , $x \in (0,+\infty) $ and $\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left| \frac{a_{n+1} x^{n+1}}{a_n x^n} \right|=L<1$, would the radius of convergence be $+\infty$? (Thinking)

And if the power series would be defined for $x \in (0,R)$ or $(-5, R), R>5$ would the radius of convergence be $5$? (Thinking)

evinda said:
If we have a power series of the form $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n$ , $x \in (0,+\infty) $ and $\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left| \frac{a_{n+1} x^{n+1}}{a_n x^n} \right|=L<1$, would the radius of convergence be $+\infty$? (Thinking)

And if the power series would be defined for $x \in (0,R)$ or $(-5, R), R>5$ would the radius of convergence be $5$? (Thinking)

Yes and yes. (Smirk)

Related to Understanding the Radius of Convergence of e^x and its Series Expansion

What is the radius of convergence for the series expansion of e^x?

The radius of convergence for the series expansion of e^x is infinite, meaning that the series converges for all values of x.

How is the radius of convergence determined for e^x?

The radius of convergence for e^x is determined using the ratio test. This involves taking the limit as n approaches infinity of the absolute value of the ratio of the (n+1)th term to the nth term of the series. If this limit is less than 1, the series will converge. If it is greater than 1, the series will diverge. If it is equal to 1, further tests are needed to determine convergence.

Can the radius of convergence for e^x ever be negative?

No, the radius of convergence for e^x can never be negative. The radius of convergence is always a positive value or infinity.

What happens to the radius of convergence if we add a constant to the series expansion of e^x?

Adding a constant to the series expansion of e^x will not change the radius of convergence. The radius of convergence is only affected by the behavior of the terms in the series, not by any constants added to it.

Does the radius of convergence for e^x change if we take the derivative or integral of the series?

No, the radius of convergence for e^x remains the same if we take the derivative or integral of the series. The radius of convergence is only affected by the behavior of the terms in the series and not by any operations performed on the series.