Understanding the Proof of Dot Products: A and B Vectors Explained

• Thread starter cytochrome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dot Proof
In summary, the discussion was about proving the formula A dot B = ABcosθ in the context of vectors in R^n. The conversation touched on different approaches, such as using the cosine rule for triangles and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. Ultimately, the proof is based on the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality and can be easily understood by considering the lengths of the vectors and their projections. The definition of dot product was also discussed, with some favoring the formula <x,y> = x1.y1 + x2.y2 + ... + xn.yn while others considered the length of the projection of u on v as the basic definition.
cytochrome
This is something that has been bothering me...

Given two vectors A and B

Is there a way to prove that A dot B = ABcosθ ?

I'm concerned with WHY this is the case... If anyone has a good proof that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey cytochrome.

The proof for this is based on the cosine rule for triangles. Let A and B be the vectors you are considering. Now in vector terms we know A + C = B (following from head to tail of both vectors) which means that C = B - A and this means the length is the length of B - A (which you can use pythagoras rule for in n-dimensions).

Now your cosine rule is C^2 = A^2 + B^2 - 2ABcos(theta). You know how to calculate lengths of all the vectors (using Pythagoras') so know collect the terms together and see what you get.

It is a consequence of Cauchy-Schwarz inequality:

##\left |\left \langle a,b \right \rangle \right | \leq \left\|a\right\|\left\|b\right\|##

Hence the ratio:

##cos\theta = \frac{\left \langle a,b \right \rangle}{\left\|a\right\|\left\|b\right\|}##

Dot product is a inner product.

Last edited:
I think he might mean how the definition in R^n is derived as opposed to something just being an inner product in general.

what you on about?

Cauchy-Schwarz inequality applies to any inner product space including ##\mathbb{R}^n##!

I mean that <x,y> = x1.y1 + x2.y2 + ... + xn.yn. (i.e. the actual definition not just an abstract one).

Didn't I say dot product is inner product already? (edit: note I didn't say inner product is restricted to dot product only)

The point here is not the dot product but rather the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality itself which applies to R^n if you take the inner product to be dot product.

Besides, using what you mentioned as "cosine rule for triangle" is confusing for high dimension spaces.

The length is known for arbitrary finite n through Pythagoras' theorem and the proof using lengths works in any dimension for R^n: it's a very simple proof since you only care about lengths of the triangle and it's very easy to understand (length is an invariant concept)

Don't you realize that Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is at the very root of that "cosine rule"?

This works for R2... I think it's a little more intuitive than the other proofs I've seen. Let a, b be two vectors. Then a / ||a||, b / ||b|| are to unit vectors. We can let a / ||a|| = <cosm, sinm> and b / ||b|| = <cosn, sinn>. then (a / ||a||) * (b / ||b||) = (cosm)(cosn)+(sinm)(sinn) = cos(m-n). The angle c between the vectors is m-n. So (a / ||a||) * (b / ||b||) = cos(c) and a*b= ||a|| ||b|| cos(c).

Sorry for the readability.

I know about the inequality, but I thought I made it very clear that I was talking about the actual specific definition (i.e. the formula to compute said quantity): I've said this quite a few times.

chiro said:
I mean that <x,y> = x1.y1 + x2.y2 + ... + xn.yn. (i.e. the actual definition not just an abstract one).
What makes you think that definition is any more "actual" than another? I've always though of "the length of the projection of u on v" as the basic definition of [itex]u\cdot v[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
What makes you think that definition is any more "actual" than another? I've always though of "the length of the projection of u on v" as the basic definition of [itex]u\cdot v[/itex].

Well it is specific to defining A.B in R^n and the author wanted to prove the formula for R^n, then the above is a good on doing that.

I understand inner products are very general that follow specific axioms: I was talking about a very specific space (i.e. R^n).

I've already outlined this above.

If the author doesn't want to consider a specific space (like R^n) then OK, but if they do then that's another thing.

Related to Understanding the Proof of Dot Products: A and B Vectors Explained

1. What is a dot product?

A dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is also known as an inner product or scalar product.

2. How is a dot product calculated?

A dot product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and then adding the products together. For example, if we have two vectors A = [a1, a2, a3] and B = [b1, b2, b3], the dot product would be calculated as a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of a dot product?

The dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. This can be visualized as the projection of one vector onto the other, multiplied by the length of the other vector.

4. What are some applications of dot products?

Dot products have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in vector calculus, to calculate work done by a force, to find the angle between two vectors, and in computer graphics for lighting and shading calculations.

5. How is the dot product related to orthogonality?

Two vectors are orthogonal (perpendicular) if their dot product is equal to zero. This is because the cosine of 90 degrees is equal to zero. Therefore, the dot product can be used to determine if two vectors are perpendicular to each other.