Understanding the Limit Definition in Mathematics

• Thread starter Willowz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: So, the limit of a function at a point is the value the function approaches as the input approaches the point, not necessarily the value of the function at that point. Therefore, we use the < symbol to indicate that we are looking at values approaching p but not actually equal to p.In summary, the inequality |x-p| > 0 is included in the definition of a limit to emphasize that the difference between x and p cannot be zero. This is important when considering discontinuous functions or functions with undefined values at x=p. The < symbol is used to indicate that the limit is focused on values approaching p, not necessarily the value at p itself.
Willowz
[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/4/3/8/438f748321028a0e27cac0a38ce4a495.png[/URL]

Can someone explain as to why there is a required 0 < l x-p l ... ?

Thanks

EDIT: Clearing up confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As opposed to an equal sign, or less than or equal to?

I think it is because the difference between x and a cannot be zero, though it gets arbitrarily close.

Yes, I used to wonder about that, too. But the absolute value function allows values to be zero, so the inequality is put in there to emphasize that we don't want the absolute value of the difference to become zero.

When you find the limit of f(x) as x approaches p, you're looking for what f(x) does as you get arbitrarily close to p, what value it's going to. Where f(x) is going doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what f(x) actually equals at x=p. In fact, f(x) may be undefined there.

khemist said:
As opposed to an equal sign, or less than or equal to?
Oh sorry if the underlining made it look like less than or equal. It is just meant as less than. I edited it.

As vela pointed out we don't want to look at the value of f(x) when x=p for a number of reasons when dealing with a limit. The most clear reason to me is discontinuities. If your function is defined in a piece-wise way then the limit as x goes to p for f(x) is going to be much different than f(p). Thus it's important to note that we don't want x actually being equal to p. Hence x < p

What's bothersome *to me* about the 0 < to is is that it seems redundant and even confusing. First of all it's known taht δ is greater than 0. Second, there is an absolute value there. Anyone seeing this or I'm not seeing it's purpose in the definition.

Willowz said:
What's bothersome *to me* about the 0 < to is is that it seems redundant and even confusing. First of all it's known taht δ is greater than 0. Second, there is an absolute value there. Anyone seeing this or I'm not seeing it's purpose in the definition.

It might be bothersome but it's pretty important (if you want to be correct).
The fact that δ is greater than zero has nothing to do with it, nor does the fact that there's an absolute value there.

if I write "for every x that holds |x-p|<δ", since 0<δ (you said it!), one of these x's is x=p! (like people mentioned above).
So that means, that specifically for x=p, this should also hold: (f(p) - L) < ...
But f(p), like mentioned, doesn't have to exist!
For example, take the function f(x) = x for every x exept x=0. f(x) is not defined on x=0. (there's a hole there). The function has of course a limit on x=0 (L=0), but it's not defined there!
If we'd only write |x-p|<δ, and not also |x-p|>0 the function in the example would have no limit in 0 (because for every δ, there exists an x: x=p, so that |x-p|=|p-p|=0<δ, and yet |f(x)-L| < [itex]\epsilon[/itex] doesn't hold, cause f(p) doesn't exist!) - and that's not what we want, intuitively.
[itex]\epsilon[/itex]
Alternatively you could instead of writing |x-p|>0 say verbally: "for any x[itex]\neq[/itex]p that holds |x-p|<δ"...

For example, the function f(x)= x is [itex]x\ne 1[/itex], f(1)= 0, satisifies
[tex]\lim_{x\to 1} f(x)= 1[/tex]
but if we allowed [itex]0\le |x- p|< \delta[/itex], then taking x= 1, |f(x)- L|= |0- 1| which is NOT "[ITEX]< \epsilon[/itex]".

That "<" rather than "[itex]\le[/itex]" means that the value of a function at p is irrelevant to the limit as x approaches p.

Related to Understanding the Limit Definition in Mathematics

1. What is the limit definition in mathematics?

The limit definition in mathematics is a formal way of describing the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve problems involving rates of change, continuity, and convergence.

2. How is the limit definition used in real-life applications?

The limit definition is used in real-life applications to model and predict the behavior of various systems, such as the growth of populations, the spread of diseases, and the movement of objects. It is also used in engineering and physics to analyze the behavior of physical systems.

3. What are the key components of the limit definition?

The key components of the limit definition are the limit point (the value that the input approaches), the function, and the epsilon-delta relationship. The epsilon-delta relationship is used to determine the behavior of the function as the input approaches the limit point.

4. How is the limit definition different from the limit notation?

The limit definition is a formal definition that explains the concept of a limit, while the limit notation (lim f(x)) is a shorthand notation used to represent the limit of a function. The limit notation is easier to use and understand, but it is based on the limit definition.

5. What are the common misconceptions about the limit definition?

One common misconception about the limit definition is that it is only applicable to continuous functions. However, the limit definition can be used for any function, regardless of its continuity. Another misconception is that the limit point must be reached for the limit to exist, but in reality, the limit can exist even if the function is undefined at the limit point.