Understanding the Formula r=mv/Bq in Grade 12 Physics

In summary, the formula r=mv/Bq is derived from the equations for uniform circular motion and the force on a charged particle traveling through a magnetic field. When the velocity and magnetic field are perpendicular, the equation simplifies to r=mv/Bq. This can be seen by considering the net force and using the equation F=ma.
mayodt
Where did the formula r=mv/Bq come from in my answerbook for my grade 12 physics? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mayodt said:
Where did the formula r=mv/Bq come from in my answerbook for my grade 12 physics? Thanks.

Do you know the equation for uniform circular motion, given a force F that always points toward the center of the circular motion?

Do you know the equation for the force F on a charged particle q when it is traveling at velocity v perpendicular to a magnetic field B?

berkeman said:
Do you know the equation for uniform circular motion, given a force F that always points toward the center of the circular motion?

Do you know the equation for the force F on a charged particle q when it is traveling at velocity v perpendicular to a magnetic field B?

F=qvBsin(theta) is the equation right? and, I probably have seen the first one, but can't remember that specific one.

mayodt said:
F=qvBsin(theta) is the equation right?

Correct, but what does it simplify to when the velocity and B-field are orthogonal (at right angles to each other)?

mayodt said:
and, I probably have seen the first one, but can't remember that specific one.

See Uniform Circular Motion at wikipedia, and remember that F=ma:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_circular_motion

berkeman said:
Correct, but what does it simplify to when the velocity and B-field are orthogonal (at right angles to each other)?

See Uniform Circular Motion at wikipedia, and remember that F=ma:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_circular_motion

Ohh okay I got it. Because the force of the magnetic field equals the net force (F=ma) so that means that qvb=ma and then since v=rw and a=vw it's qrwB=mvw, and then the w's cancel out and you rearrange. Thanks a lot :biggrin:

mayodt said:
Ohh okay I got it. Because the force of the magnetic field equals the net force (F=ma) so that means that qvb=ma and then since v=rw and a=vw it's qrwB=mvw, and then the w's cancel out and you rearrange. Thanks a lot :biggrin:

Good job! :biggrin:

Related to Understanding the Formula r=mv/Bq in Grade 12 Physics

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by the movement of electric charges, such as the flow of electricity or the spin of electrons in an atom.

2. How are magnetic fields measured?

Magnetic fields are measured using a device called a magnetometer. This instrument can detect the strength and direction of a magnetic field.

3. What are the properties of a magnetic field?

A magnetic field has two main properties: strength and direction. The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G) and the direction of the magnetic field is indicated by the orientation of its north and south poles.

4. What are the uses of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have many practical applications, such as in compasses, electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. They are also used in data storage devices like hard drives and credit cards.

5. Can magnetic fields be harmful to humans?

In general, magnetic fields are not harmful to humans unless they are extremely strong, such as those found in medical imaging machines like MRI. However, prolonged exposure to weak magnetic fields may have some health effects, but more research is needed to fully understand their potential impact.