Understanding the Derivative of F=Fi (sin ct)

In summary, the conversation is about differentiating the function F=Fi (sin ct) and two different solutions are proposed by the individuals. However, the correct solution is using the chain rule and gives F_i cos(cx)*c. One individual made a mistake by integrating instead of differentiating.
agentnerdo

Homework Statement

differentiate F=Fi (sin ct)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fi is a constant

= Fi (-cos ct)(c)

That is the solution I keep getting, but my buddy keeps getting

Fi (- cost ct)/c

in other words, he thinks - cost ct should be divided by c, anyone care to shed some light?

thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
agentnerdo said:

Homework Statement

differentiate F=Fi (sin ct)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fi is a constant

= Fi (-cos ct)(c)

That is the solution I keep getting, but my buddy keeps getting

Fi (- cost ct)/c

in other words, he thinks - cost ct should be divided by c, anyone care to shed some light?

thanks in advance!

Well neither of your solutions are correct. Your solution is the more "correct" of the two.

The derievative of sin(x) is cosx. You should not get a -cos(ct).Your buddy is indeed not differentiating; he is integrating.

Should be multiplied with c.

You are using the chain rule (f(g(x))' = f'(g(x))g'(x).
Here f(x) = F_i sin(x) and g(x) = cx.
Using the formula gives F_i cos(cx)*c

Last edited:
╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
lol. I think you need to fix your post.

Your final formula is not correct.

Wuups... It is 4:30 AM where I live :( ...

Inferior89 said:
Wuups... It is 4:30 AM where I live :( ...

You are completely excused !

I make these errors all the time. Too many times to be honest. :(

thanks allot!

Related to Understanding the Derivative of F=Fi (sin ct)

1. What is the meaning of F=Fi (sin ct)?

In this equation, F represents a function, Fi represents a constant, sin represents the sine function, and ct represents the product of the speed of light and time. This equation is commonly used in physics to describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

2. How do you differentiate F=Fi (sin ct)?

To differentiate this equation, you can use the chain rule. First, take the derivative of the outer function, which is F, with respect to the inner function, sin(ct). This will result in Fi multiplied by the derivative of sin(ct) which is cos(ct). Then, multiply by the derivative of the inner function, which is c. Therefore, the final derivative is F'= Fi*c*cos(ct).

3. Can this equation be simplified further?

Yes, this equation can be simplified by using trigonometric identities. For example, sin(ct) can be written as (1/2)(e^(ict)-e^(-ict)), where i is the imaginary unit. This simplification can be useful in certain applications.

4. What are the units of measurement for the constants used in this equation?

The constant Fi is typically measured in units of electric field strength, while the product of the speed of light and time (ct) is measured in units of distance.

5. What is the significance of this equation in physics?

This equation is significant in physics because it represents the mathematical relationship between electromagnetic waves, which are fundamental to many aspects of our daily lives including communication, technology, and energy. It also helps to explain the properties and behavior of light and other electromagnetic radiation.