Understanding the Concept of Capacitor: Q&A

In summary: Basically what i am trying to say is that the voltage across the capacitor will always be the same, no matter what the voltage across the source is.
Karan Punjabi
Guys, I am learning about the concept of capacitor,but I am confused in some things that if i kept the amount of charge constant between two plates of a capacitor and then increase the potential diff. this means that i decreased its capacitance right? If I am wrong then please explain the given concept that i have uploaded in the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20160615_244100116.jpg
    IMG_20160615_244100116.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
The capacitance is a property of the circuit element in question - it's usually marked right on it. We have Q=CV, so if you increase the potential difference, the amount of charge will increase.

Your image shows up too small to read on my monitor.

pixel said:
The capacitance is a property of the circuit element in question - it's usually marked right on it. We have Q=CV, so if you increase the potential difference, the amount of charge will increase. ...See this

Your image shows up too small to read on my monitor.

No, you don't decrease the capacitance.
Why ?
If you keep the amount of charge on the capacitor constant, then you cannot change the voltage across it.
And if you change the voltage across it the charge on the plates will increase.
There is no way of circumventing that.

A little analogy:
If you had a container of water with a tube at the bottom of it, what happens when you increase the pressure in the tube ?
Water flows into the container until some point, at which the pressure due to the height is equal to the pressure in the pipe.
A capacitor works similarly. (this analogy certainly isn't perfect, especially since there are two kinds of charge and only one kind of pressure)
If you apply a voltage to a capacitor, charges will flow onto it until the voltage across it is the same as from the voltage across the source connected to it.

When you accumulate like charges in some space their potential energy increases(since they repell each other).And since voltage is just energy per charge, the (value of) voltage also increases.
So if you stuff more charge on a capacitor the voltage across it will rise, regardless of what it is connected to.
The reason why we can say ##C=\frac{Q}{V}## is that when you apply a voltage to the capacitor the amount of charge ##Q=V*C## will be on it, once it reaches equillibrium.(which it usually does insanely fast, unless you have very high resistors, impedances or capacitances in the circuit)
EDIT: I hope you understand what i am getting at.I realized that i wrote it somewhat strange and confusing.

Likes Karan Punjabi

Related to Understanding the Concept of Capacitor: Q&A

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component used to store electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store energy.

2. What are the different types of capacitors?

There are several types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and variable capacitors. Ceramic capacitors are small and inexpensive, while electrolytic capacitors have a higher capacitance but are larger and more expensive. Film capacitors are known for their stability and accuracy, while variable capacitors allow for adjustable capacitance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for capacitance?

The unit of measurement for capacitance is the farad (F). However, capacitors typically have much smaller capacitance values, so units such as microfarads (µF) and picofarads (pF) are commonly used.

4. Can capacitors be used in AC and DC circuits?

Yes, capacitors can be used in both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits. In AC circuits, capacitors are often used to block or filter certain frequencies, while in DC circuits, they are used to smooth out voltage fluctuations.

5. What are some common applications of capacitors?

Capacitors have a wide range of applications, including in power supplies, electronic devices, and audio equipment. They are also commonly used in timing circuits, motor starters, and voltage regulators. Additionally, capacitors are crucial components in many electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones.