Understanding Superhorizon Dynamics in Cosmology: A Mathematical Perspective

• Thread starter the_pulp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the condition k<aH is the same as saying that the physical wavelength of the mode is larger than the horizon. This means that things outside the horizon do not affect things inside.
the_pulp
Hi, I am reading Tasi lectures on cosmology and in a lot of places states that certain magnitudes (example, comoving curvature R) work in someway (example "does not evolve") outside the horizon k<aH, where k is some Fourier frequency of the magnitude we may be talking about. I understand the general idea (outside the horizon things cannot affect what happens inside the horizon -or something like that-. k is a frequency so 1/k > (aH)^-1 -that is wavelength > Hubble radius should behave in a special way-) but:

1 i don't see how that intuitive condition transform in "for k<aH" in mathematical language. I get what it tries to say but I can't see the full symmetry between the words and the math
2 what "does not evolve" mean in this context (or whatever other condition is defined on any other magnitude)
3 why does it have to mean that? I insist, i get the idea that things otuaide my horizon can't affect me, my question is how is that idea translated to mathematical language.

I don't know if the question is clear, i hope you can help me! Thanks in advance for your usual useful help!

Space news on Phys.org
1) The wavenumber [itex]k[/itex] is comoving, meaning that it does not change as the universe evolves. This is helpful for placing a label on each Fourier mode that "stays with" the mode even though it is stretching. The physical wavenumber, [itex]k/a[/itex], does evolve with the expansion. Now, if [itex]k/a[/itex] is the physical wavenumber, then [itex]\lambda_{\rm phys} = a/\lambda[/itex] is the physical wavelength of the mode. Note that it increases [itex]\propto a[/itex]. Meanwhile, the inverse Hubble parameter is the horizon size, [itex]H^{-1} = d_H[/itex]. So, rewrite the condition as [tex]d_H < \lambda_{\rm phys}[/tex] and it should be clear that the condition k<aH is the same as saying that the physical wavelength of the mode is larger than the horizon.

2) The amplitude of the mode is constant.

3) It's not so much saying that things outside the horizon cannot affect things within. It's saying that this thing -- the Fourier mode -- does not evolve (at least not in a Hubble time). You've got a single fluctuations with a wavelength larger than the causal horizon, or equivalently, a thing with a frequency smaller than the age of the universe. Such a fluctuation is by all accounts frozen.

Ok, thank you very much. I kept on reading and I have a lot of more doubts so I will keep on posting!

Thanks again.

Related to Understanding Superhorizon Dynamics in Cosmology: A Mathematical Perspective

1. What is the mathematics behind superhorizon?

The mathematics behind superhorizon is based on the theory of cosmological perturbations, which describes the evolution of small fluctuations in the density of the early universe. This theory uses concepts from general relativity and quantum mechanics to explain the behavior of these fluctuations on large scales, including the superhorizon scale.

2. How does superhorizon expansion affect the evolution of the universe?

The superhorizon scale refers to distances that are larger than the observable universe. This means that the expansion of the universe on these scales is not influenced by local processes, such as the gravitational pull of nearby galaxies. Instead, the expansion is driven by the overall energy density of the universe, which is affected by factors such as dark energy and the density of matter.

3. What are some examples of phenomena that are affected by superhorizon scales?

Superhorizon scales can affect the formation of large-scale structures in the universe, such as galaxy clusters and voids. They can also influence the behavior of cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the early universe. In addition, the evolution of the universe on superhorizon scales is important for understanding the inflationary period of the early universe.

4. How does the mathematics of superhorizon relate to the concept of cosmic inflation?

Cosmic inflation is a theory that explains the rapid expansion of the universe in the first fractions of a second after the Big Bang. The mathematics of superhorizon is closely related to this theory, as it helps to explain how small quantum fluctuations during inflation can grow to become the large-scale structures we see in the universe today.

5. What are some ongoing research areas in the mathematics of superhorizon?

There are many ongoing research areas in the mathematics of superhorizon, including the study of primordial gravitational waves, the effects of non-Gaussianities on large-scale structure formation, and the use of superhorizon modes to probe the nature of dark energy. There is also ongoing research on how the mathematics of superhorizon can be applied to other areas of physics, such as string theory and quantum gravity.