Understanding Resistance in Charging an Ultracapacitor

• Thread starter colintonks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the capacitor will draw more current from the PM DC generator when it is first being charged, making it harder to turn. As the capacitor charges up to the voltage being put out by the generator, the current decreases and the generator gets easier to turn. The voltage produced by the generator must be greater than the voltage needed for internal generator resistance, the voltage needed to charge the capacitor, and any losses in order to effectively charge the capacitor. The internal resistance of the generator limits the current that can flow into the diode and capacitor combination. A larger diode is needed for higher currents.
colintonks
Hi

have a question:

When I connect a PM DC generator to an ultracapacitor and begin charging the ultracapacitor is there more resistance from the outset with the resistance dropping proportional to the voltage?

Thanks
Colin

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think so. The capacitor will have a very small resistance, and the current is probably limited in some other way, by a series resistor or the current limiting in your power supply.

colintonks said:
When I connect a PM DC generator to an ultracapacitor and begin charging the ultracapacitor is there more resistance from the outset with the resistance dropping proportional to the voltage?
You should connect a PM DC generator (is it unregulated?) to an ultra capacitor with a series diode rectifier, or else the generator will become a motor when you stop cranking. When you start cranking, the ultra cap will start drawing current, even when the generator voltage output is very low. As the ultra cap charges, the threshold voltage for torque resistance will rise, up until when the ultra cap is fully charged.
Bob S

You mean "resistance" as in how hard it is to turn the handle of the generator?

The capacitor will draw more current when it is first being charged and this makes the generator harder to turn.
As the capacitor charges up to the voltage being put out by the generator, the current decreases and the generator gets easier to turn.

Some hand cranked DC generators can generate 100 volts or more which may be more than your capacitor can handle. If your generator looks old, this might be the case.

Thanks everyone for making that very clear. Have a couple of other questions if oyu don't mind regarding charging capacitors and batteries from DC generators:

So I have a DC generator connected to a 15v 52F ultracapacitor. There is a diode in place. If the generators has in inherent 1.7ohm resistance and the capacitor is at 10v. Does this mean that voltage produced by the generator would need to be the sum of the (voltage needed for internal generator resistance) + (10v to charge the capacitor) + (losses)? in order to charge up the capacitor? Or have I got it completely wrong!

Hope the question is clear.

And again thanks for helping my understand.
Colin

So I have a DC generator connected to a 15v 52F ultracapacitor. There is a diode in place. If the generators has in inherent 1.7ohm resistance and the capacitor is at 10v. Does this mean that voltage produced by the generator would need to be the sum of the (voltage needed for internal generator resistance) + (10v to charge the capacitor) + (losses)? in order to charge up the capacitor? Or have I got it completely wrong!

The capacitor will charge if the generator is producing more than the capacitor voltage plus the diode voltage. The diode voltage will be about 0.6 volts to 1 volt depending on the current.

The internal resistance of the generator limits the current that can flow into the diode/ capacitor combination.

So, if the capacitor is already at 10 volts and the generator is producing 14 volts, there will be 10 volts across the capacitor, 0.6 volts across the diode and 3.4 volts across the internal 1.7 ohm resistor. (This adds up to 14 volts.)

This last bit tells you the current will be about 2 amps, ( 3.4 V /1.7 ohms = 2 amps) so the diode needs to be a big one.
When the capacitor was completely discharged, the current would have been about 7.9 amps. (14 -0.6) / 1.7 = 7.9 amps

Related to Understanding Resistance in Charging an Ultracapacitor

What is resistance and why is it important?

Resistance is the ability of an object or substance to resist or oppose the flow of electricity. It is important because it determines how much current will flow through a circuit and affects the overall functioning of electrical devices.

What factors affect resistance?

The factors that affect resistance include the material of the object, its length and cross-sectional area, and its temperature. These factors determine how easily electrons can flow through the object.

What is Ohm's law and how does it relate to resistance?

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as resistance increases, the current decreases, and vice versa.

How does resistance impact the efficiency of electrical circuits?

Resistance can impact the efficiency of electrical circuits by causing a drop in voltage and generating heat. This can lead to energy loss and decrease the efficiency of the circuit.

How can resistance be measured and controlled?

Resistance can be measured using a multimeter or other specialized equipment. It can be controlled by using different materials or adjusting the length and cross-sectional area of the object. Additionally, resistors can be used to intentionally introduce resistance into a circuit and control the flow of current.