Understanding Planetary Motion: A Calculus 3 Homework Solution

In summary, the student is struggling with an assignment for a calc 3 class. They attempted to do (a), but are not sure if they are on the right track. They attempted to do (b), but are not sure if their work is correct. They think their work is exemplary, but there are still some big question marks remaining.
kamu

Homework Statement

qvp4Q9t.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I'm completely lost, this is an assignment for my calc 3 class. I tried to do (a) but I think I'm completely off track so any helps appreciated.

r x a=0
|r x a|=0=|r||a|sin(theta)
r cannot be 0 since it's in the denominator
Assuming neither G nor M is 0, a cannot be 0
so theta must be 0 or 180
|r||a|sin(0)=0
|r||a|sin(180)=0

the above is my attempt at (a)

I haven't tried any others yet :(.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see a proof in your attempt. You start with r x a = 0 which is what you are supposed to prove !?
Since you have an expression for ##\vec a## the proof isn't all that dificult ...

Uploading photos of more attempts
x7j88aq.jpg
HIGcRuC.jpg
AKNzfd2.jpg

Oh boy, a lot of reading to catch up. But I am delighted with a) and b): exemplary !
I hope someone else steps in now to help you further; I really must get some sleep.
What I ever knew abour planetary orbits has sunk so deep that I need some time to dredge it up; on the other hand: from what I've glimpsed it looks as if you're doing just fine. Any particularly big question marks left ?

BvU said:
Oh boy, a lot of reading to catch up. But I am delighted with a) and b): exemplary !
I hope someone else steps in now to help you further; I really must get some sleep.
What I ever knew abour planetary orbits has sunk so deep that I need some time to dredge it up; on the other hand: from what I've glimpsed it looks as if you're doing just fine. Any particularly big question marks left ?

for (i) it says to compare |r|=|r x v|^2/(GM+|c| cos(theta) to the formula in the textbook a(1-e^2)/(1+ecos(theta)), not sure what I'm suppose to do here.

I'm also insecure about the correctness of my work because I can't remember all the cross product and dot product properties to see if I'm actually doing them correctly or I'm doing illegal operations.

Last edited:
kamu said:
Uploading photos of more attempts
x7j88aq.jpg
HIGcRuC.jpg
AKNzfd2.jpg

PF discourages the posting of pictures of your handwritten work. Some helpers (myself included) will not look at such responses. I know it is a hassle, but you really should type it out, and you can use LaTeX if you want to produce top-quality output.

I fully agree with Ray. Perhaps you can pick up some TeX know-how on the way.
See this link from the guidelines. What helps me is to move to a formula and use the right-mouse button | Show math as | TeX commands.

However, I do want to help you, so let's plod on step by step

In c) you have to prove something, namely what's on your first line. I find it hard to believe $${d\hat u\over dt} = {1\over |\vec r|}\; {d\vec r \over dt}$$ since that ignores a term $$ \left ({d\over dt}{1\over |\vec r|}\right )\; \vec r \; .$$ So your proof is therefore not correct, but repairable.

In d) you start with the equality that is to be proven and fortunately continue with the rule to be used (we readers don't have page 624 at hand...):$$\vec u \times \left ( \vec v \times \vec w\right ) = \left (\vec u \cdot \vec w \right )\vec v - \left (\vec u \cdot \vec v \right ) \vec w$$It's vague and murky in the picture, but I think you want to fill in the expression for ##\vec a = -{GM\over |\vec r|^2}\hat u## and the result of c) to get $$\vec a \times \left [ \vec r \times \vec v \right] = -GM \left [ \hat u \times \hat u \times {d\hat u\over dt} \right ]$$With ##\hat u \cdot \hat u = 1## and ##\hat u \cdot {d\hat u\over dt}=0## you're in business. Nifty. I think you should clarify why it is that ##\hat u \cdot {d\hat u\over dt}=0## ?

e) f) g) and h) are a piece of cake. I start to like this exercise; perhaps I will finally learn something about Kepler orbits by just letting you do all the work and sitting back comfortably :)

In i) you are supposed to find expressions for a and e in terms of the variables used thus far: GM, ##\vec c##, ##\theta## (already there)

By now, I am able (and hopefully you are too ) to read the Wikipedia article critically and find back all the stuff we've been through!

Hey BvU, thanks for the help. I appreciate it. Anyway the project was due yesterday so I didn't have a lot of time retype everything. Mr.Vickson I will take the advice and be sure to type it in a better format in the future.

My pleasure. Nice exercise; interesting subject, great Physics with a capital P
:)

Related to Understanding Planetary Motion: A Calculus 3 Homework Solution

1) How do we know that planets orbit around the sun?

The proof of planetary motion can be observed through careful observations and calculations made by astronomers over centuries. The laws of motion and gravity, as proposed by Isaac Newton, also provide a solid framework for understanding planetary motion.

2) What evidence supports the idea of elliptical orbits?

One of the key pieces of evidence for elliptical orbits is Kepler's laws of planetary motion, which describe the shape and speed of planets' orbits around the sun. Additionally, observations of planetary positions over time have shown that they do not follow a perfectly circular path, but rather an elliptical one.

3) How does gravitational pull play a role in planetary motion?

Gravitational pull is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. In the case of planetary motion, the sun's massive gravitational pull keeps the planets in their respective orbits.

4) Can planetary motion be predicted accurately?

Yes, with the help of mathematical equations and advanced technology, planetary motion can be predicted with a high degree of accuracy. However, there are still some factors that may affect the accuracy of these predictions, such as the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies.

5) Is planetary motion constant or does it change over time?

Planetary motion is not entirely constant. According to Kepler's laws, planets move at varying speeds and their orbits can also change slightly over time due to gravitational interactions with other objects in the solar system. However, these changes are generally small and can be predicted and accounted for in calculations.