Understanding Passive Sign Convention: Power Calculation Example (P=VI)

In summary, the conversation is about understanding power and current flow in a circuit. The person is struggling to determine whether power is being given or taken in a specific scenario. They also have difficulty understanding which terminals are positive and negative. The conversation also touches on Ohm's Law and the direction of current flow in different parts of the circuit. Overall, the person is seeking clarification on these concepts and is trying to make sense of the information they have been given.
xtrubambinoxpr

Homework Statement

I am having trouble understanding PSC. Please help on this question. Teach me like I am 5. My tutor couldn't break it to me.

(SEE ATTACHED) and find whether the power is being given or taken

Homework Equations

p=vi
p=-vi

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't realize if this current is leaving positive to get into negative or negative to positive. Also, the relation to negative and positive current is really messing me up. I got:

Pa: a) 1250w b) 1200w c) -5760 d) 16500

but my book says they are opposite.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 2.08.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 2.08.12 PM.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,099
Physics news on Phys.org
Chegg has this. This because the power A > 0 so it is being delivered power to A and it flows from negative to positive?

Is my assumption correct?

thank you

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 2.16.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 2.16.08 PM.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 509
Consider when a resistor is hidden inside a box. Whatever end of the resistor is positive is also the end that current flows into that resistor. Ohm's Law.

Current in the second interconnecting wire will flow in the direction opposite to that in the first. (It may help you to picture what is happening if you draw both of these current arrows.)

NascentOxygen said:
Consider when a resistor is hidden inside a box. Whatever end of the resistor is positive is also the end that current flows into that resistor. Ohm's Law.

Current in the second interconnecting wire will flow in the direction opposite to that in the first. (It may help you to picture what is happening if you draw both of these current arrows.)

so this being said since the top connection is to the left the bottom is to the right?

& I guess what I am Really confused at is which one is positive. The tutor explained to me both the connected terminals where positive on top and negative on the bottom. I am more lost on determining which point (node, black dot, terminal, etc) is pos/neg. I would think the top right (black dot) is where the "positive" comes from into box A which is "negative" on the top left black dot.

xtrubambinoxpr said:
so this being said since the top connection is to the left the bottom is to the right?
Are you talking about current direction?

& I guess what I am Really confused at is which one is positive.
The positive terminal has the "+" sign. Alternatively, the positive terminal is pointed to by the arrow head of the voltage arrow. If an arrow is shown but + and ─ are not already marked in, you can write them in lightly as a reminder.

+
 ↑_

What might get you confused is where a voltage arrow is shown and you are told it is negative volts. In this case, you can redraw the diagram with the arrow pointing in the opposite direction and then say the voltage is a + voltage.

A similar thing applies where a current arrow is drawn but labelled ─. You can reverse it and say it's positive.

Related to Understanding Passive Sign Convention: Power Calculation Example (P=VI)

What is the Passive Sign Convention?

The Passive Sign Convention is a method used in electrical engineering to determine the direction of power flow in a circuit. It states that the current entering a component or element is considered positive and the current leaving is considered negative.

How do you calculate power using the Passive Sign Convention?

To calculate power using the Passive Sign Convention, you simply multiply the voltage (V) by the current (I). The result will be the power in watts (W).

Can the Passive Sign Convention be applied to both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, the Passive Sign Convention can be applied to both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits. The direction of current flow may change in AC circuits, but the convention remains the same.

How is the Passive Sign Convention different from the Active Sign Convention?

The Passive Sign Convention assumes that power is being consumed by the circuit, while the Active Sign Convention assumes that power is being supplied to the circuit. This results in a difference in the direction of power flow in the calculations.

Why is the Passive Sign Convention important to know in electrical engineering?

The Passive Sign Convention is important to know in electrical engineering because it helps to determine the direction of power flow in a circuit. This information is crucial in designing and analyzing circuits, as well as troubleshooting any issues that may arise.