Understanding Newton's 3rd Law: Finding Opposing Forces Between Two Boxes

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of opposing forces between two boxes connected by a pull. One person is trying to understand why there are opposing forces, while the other explains that it is due to Newton's law of motion and the fact that without this opposing force, the front box would move faster. The person is frustrated with visualizing this concept but ultimately understands the explanation.
cam875
I understand the law and can apply it to many situations except for one.

You are pulling a box weighing X kg attached by a connection which isn't loose or anything to another box weighing Y kg and you have to find out the strength of the opposing forces inbetween the boxes. Why is there opposing forces inside there, I always thought that if u are pulling the box than whatever is attracted to that matter you are pulling such as the connection and the other box is going to be pulled aslong as the force being applied is strong enough to move the mass and the attraction between all the matter is strong enough to hold together without breaking. So basically why are there opposing forces inbetween the boxes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cam875! :smile:

Box X (at the back) doesn't want to move, so box Y has to pull it forwards, and box X is pulling box Y backwards :wink:

why is the box pulling the other box backwards? besides just using his law I like actually visualiziing what's happening, and I have been able to do that with every single example except for this one so far and its frustrating me lol.

'cos if it wasn't there, the front box would go faster :smile:

alright makes sense now thanks.

Related to Understanding Newton's 3rd Law: Finding Opposing Forces Between Two Boxes

1. What is Newton's 3rd Law?

Newton's 3rd Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back.

2. How does Newton's 3rd Law apply to two boxes?

In the context of two boxes, Newton's 3rd Law means that when one box exerts a force on the other box, the second box will exert an equal and opposite force back. This is because the boxes are interacting with each other and their forces are acting on each other.

3. What is the difference between action and reaction in Newton's 3rd Law?

Action and reaction refer to the two forces that are present in Newton's 3rd Law. The action force is the force exerted by one object on another, while the reaction force is the force exerted by the second object back on the first object. These forces are always equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

4. How can we find the opposing forces between two boxes?

To find the opposing forces between two boxes, we need to first identify the action force and the reaction force. This can be done by determining which box is exerting a force on the other. Once we have identified the two forces, we can use Newton's 3rd Law to understand that the two forces are equal and opposite.

5. Why is it important to understand Newton's 3rd Law when studying forces?

Understanding Newton's 3rd Law is important because it helps us to accurately predict and explain the motion of objects. It also allows us to understand the relationship between two interacting objects and how forces are exchanged between them. This is crucial in many fields, including physics, engineering, and even everyday activities like driving a car or throwing a ball.