Understanding Inductance: Formulas & Contradictions Explained

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductance
In summary: In "Fields and Waves Electromagnetics" by David Cheng:L = \frac{\Lambda}{I} \;\hbox{ where }\; \Lambda = N \Phi N is the number of turns on the inductor, \Lambda is called flux linkage and \Phi = \int_S \vec B \cdot d\vec l \Rightarrow W = \frac 1 2 LI^2 But when derive energy of inductor in "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths. p317 and also later part of Cheng's book gave.L
yungman
I am confused on the formulas of inductance.

In "Fields and Waves Electromagnetics" by David Cheng:

[tex]L = \frac{\Lambda}{I} \;\hbox{ where }\; \Lambda = N \Phi [/tex]

N is the number of turns on the inductor, [itex]\Lambda [/itex] is called flux linkage and

[tex]\Phi = \int_S \vec B \cdot d\vec l [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow W = \frac 1 2 LI^2 [/tex]

But when derive energy of inductor in "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths. p317 and also later part of Cheng's book gave.

[tex] L = \frac{\Phi}{ I} \;\hbox { instead of }\; \frac{\Lambda}{I} [/tex]

During derivation of energy using magnetic field:

[tex]\frac {dW}{dt} = IV[/tex]

[tex] -V=\int_C \vec E \cdot d\vec l =\int_S \vec B \cdot d\vec S = -\frac {\partial \Phi}{\partial t} \;\Rightarrow\; W=\frac 1 2 I\phi [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\; L=\frac{\Phi}{I}[/tex]

So the two are contradicting and I don't know how to make of it. Can anyone help explain this?

Thanks

Alan

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello yungman,
I believe engineers and scientists sometimes *like* talking at different frequencies :biggrin: The [tex]\Lambda[/tex] in the former text and [tex]\Phi[/tex] in the latter one are the same:
_ Engineers understand [tex]\Lambda=N\phi[/tex] as flux linkage, where [tex]\phi[/tex] is the flux through 1 round of the coil. So [tex]\Lambda[/tex] is simply the total flux through the coil.
_ Scientists understand as [tex]\Phi[/tex] as the TOTAL flux through the coil.
They are just different notations :wink:

Thanks for the reply. This make sense in:

[tex] L = \frac{\Lambda}{I} \;\hbox{ vs }\; L = \frac{\Phi}{I} [/tex]

and in energy equation:

[tex] W=\frac 1 2 \sum_{k=1}^ N LI^2 \;\hbox { vs }\; W=\frac 1 2 \sum_{k=1}^ N I\Phi [/tex]

But then both books went on and defind:

[tex]\Phi = \int_S \vec B \cdot d\vec S = \int_C \vec A \cdot d\vec l =LI[/tex]

Lets look at the calculation of self inductance of a long coil that has radius = a and N turn per unit length. To calculate inductance per unit length using this formula:

[tex] \vec B = \mu NI \;\Rightarrow\; \Phi = \int _S \vec B \cdot d \vec S = \mu N I \pi a^2 \;\Rightarrow\; L =\mu N \pi a^2 [/tex]

But if you use:

[tex]\Phi = \int_S \vec B \cdot d\vec S \;\hbox{ and }\; \Lambda = N\Phi = \mu N^2I(\pi a^2) \;\Rightarrow L=\mu N^2 (\pi a^2) [/tex]

So you see you cannot assume the physics book treat [itex] \Phi [/itex] as [itex] \Lambda[/itex] in engineering book.

yungman said:
[tex] \vec B = \mu NI \;\Rightarrow\; \Phi = \int _S \vec B \cdot d \vec S = \mu N I \pi a^2 \;\Rightarrow\; L =\mu N \pi a^2 [/tex]

The region S (under the integral notation) in this case is actually the total region formed by N turns. This is how scientists work. So the correct calculation for this is:
[tex] \Phi = \int _S \vec B \cdot d \vec S = \mu N I \times N \pi a^2 \;\Rightarrow\; L =\mu N^2 \pi a^2 [/tex]

[tex]\Phi = \int_S \vec B \cdot d\vec S \;\hbox{ and }\; \Lambda = N\Phi = \mu N^2I(\pi a^2) \;\Rightarrow L=\mu N^2 (\pi a^2) [/tex]

And in this case, S is the region of just 1 turn. This is how engineers work.

So while engineers go from magnetic flux of 1 turn [tex]\Phi_{engineer}[/tex] then flux linkage [tex]\Lambda[/tex], scientists simply care about the net effective region which corresponds to the total flux [tex]\Phi_{scientist}[/tex], which turns out to be equal to [tex]\Lambda[/tex].

I see, thanks for your help. I guess I am the only odd ball engineer here also!:biggrin:

Have a nice day.

Alan

Related to Understanding Inductance: Formulas & Contradictions Explained

What is inductance?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes the ability of the circuit to resist changes in the flow of current. It is measured in Henries and is represented by the symbol L.

What is the formula for calculating inductance?

The formula for calculating inductance is L = NΦ/I, where N is the number of turns in the inductor, Φ is the magnetic flux through the inductor, and I is the current flowing through the inductor. This formula is known as the Faraday's Law of Induction.

What is the difference between inductance and resistance?

Inductance and resistance are two different properties of an electrical circuit. While resistance is a measure of how much a material opposes the flow of current, inductance is a measure of how much a circuit resists changes in the flow of current. In other words, resistance affects the steady-state behavior of a circuit, while inductance affects the transient behavior.

Why do inductance formulas seem to contradict each other?

Inductance formulas may seem to contradict each other because they are based on different assumptions and models of the circuit. For example, the inductance of an ideal solenoid is calculated differently than the inductance of a real-world inductor with a finite length and diameter. It is important to understand the assumptions and limitations of each formula before applying it to a specific circuit.

How can inductance be used in practical applications?

Inductance has many practical applications, including in energy storage and filtering circuits. It is also an essential component in motors, generators, transformers, and other electromagnetic devices. Understanding inductance can help engineers design more efficient and reliable circuits for a variety of applications.