Understanding Harmonic oscillator conventions

In summary: I don't quite understand how he got the line below.In summary, "He" is referring to the author of a private document on the quantization of elastic waves. By using discrete time approximation and combining terms, the author was able to obtain a second order time expression for the term "##q_n##." This can be further clarified by looking at Kittel's Introduction to Solid State Physics, specifically Appendix C on the quantization of elastic waves.
Djawu
TL;DR Summary
see the equations down below
I don't quite understand how he got the line below. By using discrete time approximation, we can get the second order time expression. But i don't see how by combining terms he is able to get such expression.
2221CD22-724B-414B-AA43-820599DB3FEB.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Djawu said:
I don't quite understand how he got the line below.

Who is "he" and where did this come from?

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Who is "he" and where did this come from?
This is a private document shared only within the department. I have the permission to quote parts of it without releasing the rest.

Simply substitue the second Hamilton’s equation into the first.

Hint: ##q_n## can be written as a Fourier series with coefficients ##q_k##, and vice versa.
For details see e.g. Kittel, Introduction to Solid State Physics, Appendix C: Quantization of Elastic Waves: Phonons

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Djawu said:
This is a private document shared only within the department. I have the permission to quote parts of it without releasing the rest.
But I recognize these notes, they are available for free on the author's public website...? But perhaps you have your own reasons for not disclosing, in any case Demystifier's hint will get you in the right direction.

king vitamin said:
But I recognize these notes, they are available for free on the author's public website...? But perhaps you have your own reasons for not disclosing, in any case Demystifier's hint will get you in the right direction.
sharp eyes ;)

Related to Understanding Harmonic oscillator conventions

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a type of system that exhibits periodic motion, meaning it repeats the same pattern over and over again. It is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position.

2. What are some examples of harmonic oscillators?

Some examples of harmonic oscillators include a mass attached to a spring, a pendulum, and an LC circuit in electronics.

3. What are the conventions for understanding harmonic oscillators?

The conventions for understanding harmonic oscillators include using mathematical equations such as Hooke's law, the equation of motion, and the energy equation. It is also important to understand the concepts of amplitude, frequency, and period.

4. How do you calculate the period of a harmonic oscillator?

The period of a harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.

5. What is the significance of understanding harmonic oscillator conventions?

Understanding harmonic oscillator conventions is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to accurately model and analyze systems that exhibit periodic motion, leading to advancements in technology and a deeper understanding of the natural world.