Understanding Dynamics: Expressing Acceleration using Displacement and Time

• Thread starter Make
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical notation for expressing acceleration and velocity in terms of displacement and time. The key points are that velocity is the derivative of displacement with respect to time, and acceleration is the derivative of velocity with respect to time. The notation for these derivatives is not a fraction, but rather a single object that can be obtained from the corresponding function. The "square" in the notation for acceleration indicates a second derivative with respect to time, and is not to be treated as a literal square. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the notation to avoid confusion and correctly solve problems.
Make
I'd be glad if anyone could help me out here. I guess this is closer related to maths, but in any case there is dynamics behind it. So when we want to express acceleration a using displacement s, , it looks like this, right? a = d^2s/dt^2. What I don't understand is that if you substitute v whith ds/dt , why don't you get d^2s/((d^2)t^2) i.e. why is time not a second differential? Just by mechanically carrying out the substitution I think I should get a second differential for time... a = d(ds)/((dt)dt)

Thanks for clearing this up for me.s

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think your problem is not with the physics, but with the mathematical notation.

First let me briefly explain the physics. The quantity of interest to us, is the distance s(t), which tells us at any time t where at which distance s of some reference point s = 0 we can find some object (particle, cart, ball, ...).
The velocity is the quantity that tells us how fast the object moves from one point to another. It is introduced as a displacement per time interval (v = s / t) which works fine if the displacement is of the same magnitude in any time interval. But if it's not, then we should do something like [itex]v(t, t + \Delta t) = \Delta s / \Delta t[/itex] where [itex]\Delta t[/itex] is some small time interval after t, and [itex]\Delta s[/itex] is the displacement in the interval between t and t + delta t. In the limit where t goes to zero, we get the "instantaneous" velocity v(t) and the fraction turns into the derivative ds/dt. Note that although the notation is very similar, the procedure is really non-trivial (a mathematical limit is involved): whereas [itex]\Delta s / \Delta t[/itex] really is one number divided by another, ds/dt is not a fraction. "ds/dt" stands for a single object, a function which can be obtained from s(t). If this notation confuses you, I suggest that you write s'(t) instead (the prime indicating derivative w.r.t. t).

Similarly, the acceleration tells us how fast the velocity is changing, so a(t) = v'(t). In the other notation, a(t) = dv(t)/dt = (d/dt) v(t), but again, there are no fractions in that expression - it means the same as v'(t). The quantity a(t) is important, because it governs the motion of the object: if we know what forces act on the object, we use F = m a to find the acceleration of the object at any time instant, from that we can determine the velocity (which mathematically is just an anti-derivative of a(t): a function whose derivative is equal to a(t)) and from there our target function s(t) (in the same way).

If you substitute v(t) = s'(t), then you get a(t) = (d/dt) s'(t), the derivative of the derivative of s(t). So to avoid this mix of notations, let me just write a(t) = s''(t). So if we write
[tex]s'(t) = \frac{ds}{dt}[/tex]
is there also some notation for s''(t)? Obviously,
[tex]s''(t) = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{ds}{dt}[/tex]
which just expresses that s''(t) is the derivative of (ds/dt) with respect to time. But to avoid writing things like
[tex]s''''(t) = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{d}{dt} \cdots \frac{d}{dt} \frac{ds}{dt}[/tex]
we shorten the notation to
[tex]s''(t) = \frac{d^2 s}{dt^2}[/tex]
Note that the "square" (which is actually not a square, just a superscript 2) goes with the d above, but with the t below.
Now again, this is not a fraction. You cannot do something like
[tex]s''(t) dt^2 = d^2 s [/tex]
or cancel some variables to get
[tex]s''(t) = \frac{ds}{t^2}[/tex]
-- the whole thing (with the fraction notation and the squares and all included) is a single object and should be treated as such. The only thing that we are allowed to do, is to write it as
[tex]s''(t) = \frac{d^2}{dt^2} s(t)[/tex]
which allows for longer expressions than s(t) to be written down directly. For example, suppose that s(t) = A cos(x - 3t) + B sin(x - 3t), we could write
[tex]a(t) = s''(t) = \frac{d^2}{dt^2}\left( A \cos(x - 3t) + B \sin(x - 3t) \right)[/tex]
directly.

Wow! You really put time and effort into this, THANKS! That method of considering ds/dt as one object is great. You also helped pinpoint my original probem:

CompuChip said:
Note that the "square" (which is actually not a square, just a superscript 2) goes with the d above, but with the t below.

Why is it marked differently above and below?

Once again, THANKS A 10^6!

Related to Understanding Dynamics: Expressing Acceleration using Displacement and Time

What is dynamics?

Dynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and its causes, particularly the forces and torques that affect the motion of objects.

What are s, v, a, and t in dynamics?

In dynamics, s refers to displacement, v refers to velocity, a refers to acceleration, and t refers to time. These quantities are used to describe the motion of an object.

What is the relationship between velocity, acceleration, and time?

The relationship between velocity, acceleration, and time is described by the equation v = v0 + at, where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time interval.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object's motion. In other words, velocity is a vector quantity, while speed is a scalar quantity.

What are the units of s, v, a, and t in dynamics?

The units of s are meters (m), the units of v are meters per second (m/s), the units of a are meters per second squared (m/s2), and the units of t are seconds (s).