Understanding Couples, Moments & Forces

• Thread starter ual8658
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary: No - a couple can be moved freely but a moment can't right? Because it's relative to a point? But they both provide similar rotation.
ual8658
I'm trying to understand couples, moments and forces. I know that a moment is a force causing a rotation about a certain point/axis. And I know a couple is a vector that represents the... and then that's where I'm trying to get clarification.
Is a couple vector a representation of the general tendency of the entire rigid body to rotate as a result of two forces that qualify, and hence why the couple vector can be moved anywhere in space without affecting its value.?
And in calculating moments about a certain point the couple is added up just like a regular moment at that point?
Also if let's say a system is acted on by a couple vector and 3 forces. If you calculate the moment about a certain point, you add that couple vector with the moments of the other 3 forces? But when calculating a resultant force of just the 3 forces given, the resultant force should cause the same moment about that point as the moment with the couple included?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Simon Bridge said:
A couple is any system of vectors that produces rotation but no translation.
It is an example of a pseudovector - so it has vector-like properties, and some other stuff that you are finding confusing.

See:
http://web.mit.edu/4.441/1_lectures/1_lecture12/1_lecture12.html
... also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couple_(mechanics)

Ok I think I get it now. So the couple is basically a combination of vectors that are no longer "visible" in a force/couple diagram that creates rotation. But for example if I am given a system with one couple and let's say 3 forces. The resultant force must produce the same moment about a certain point as the moments of the 3 forces and the couple combined right because the couple is a pseudovector of force vectors?

The net moment is that produced by the couple, and each force, combined - yes.
If you get into trouble - just decompose the couple into a pair of forces and analyse normally.

Simon Bridge said:
The net moment is that produced by the couple, and each force, combined - yes.
If you get into trouble - just decompose the couple into a pair of forces and analyse normally.

Thank you so much! It makes sense now.

That's actually what I do. Physics courses tend to ignore moments and couples completely in favour of torque. Engineering courses seem to like moments and couples.

Simon Bridge said:
That's actually what I do. Physics courses tend to ignore moments and couples completely in favour of torque. Engineering courses seem to like moments and couples.

Even in my engineering class it seems the professor makes couple appear to be a moment when they're not entirely the same thing.

I think it is a distinction without a difference in most cases. I had a hard time working out why a moment was thought to be different from a torque.
It is common for people with lots of experience use terms interchangeably where context makes the matter clear - it only gets worse as you advance.

Simon Bridge said:
I think it is a distinction without a difference in most cases. I had a hard time working out why a moment was thought to be different from a torque.
It is common for people with lots of experience use terms interchangeably where context makes the matter clear - it only gets worse as you advance.

Actually after thinking about this I had one more question. A couple can be moved freely but a moment can't right? Because it's relative to a point? But they both provide similar rotation.

Related to Understanding Couples, Moments & Forces

1. What is the difference between a couple and a moment?

A couple is a pair of forces that are equal in magnitude, opposite in direction, and do not share a line of action. A moment, on the other hand, is a measure of the tendency of a force to cause rotation around a specific point or axis.

2. How do couples and moments affect the stability of an object?

Couples and moments can either increase or decrease the stability of an object. A couple can create a rotational force that helps stabilize an object, while a moment can cause an object to rotate and become less stable. The location and direction of the forces also play a role in determining stability.

3. What are some real-life examples of couples and moments?

A common real-life example of a couple is the steering wheel of a car. The two hands on the wheel create a couple that allows for precise control of the direction of the car. A moment can be seen in the use of a wrench to loosen a bolt. The force applied creates a moment that rotates the bolt and loosens it.

4. How are couples and moments related to forces?

Couples and moments are types of forces. They are classified as non-concurrent forces, meaning they do not act on the same point. They can also be referred to as torque, which is a measure of the force's tendency to cause rotation.

5. How do forces in a couple affect each other?

The forces in a couple are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, which means they cancel each other out. However, together they create a moment, which is a measure of their combined effect on an object. The forces must also be parallel and not share a line of action for them to form a couple.