Understand 5th Dimension: Get Help Understanding 4th Dimension

In summary: There are a lot of 'what ifs' in physics, but without any real evidence they are not really worth taking seriously.In summary, there is no physical evidence for extra dimensions beyond the 3 we experience.
Bollini Mouli
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie here. Is it true that one could understand fifth and above dimensions only if we get hold of fourth dimension and I've seen videos and read about fourth dimension but couldn't get it completely and exactly. So, I want your help here. Be mellow as much as you can.

Thank you.

Space news on Phys.org
I want to help you but I didnt understand your question.

Bollini Mouli said:
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie here. Is it true that one could understand fifth and above dimensions only if we get hold of fourth dimension and I've seen videos and read about fourth dimension but couldn't get it completely and exactly. So, I want your help here. Be mellow as much as you can.

Thank you.
The "fourth" dimension in physics is time, so I'm assuming you mean a 4th dimension of space, which as far as we know does not actually exist. String theory postulates up to 11 dimensions, but there are no tests to see if these actually exist so string theory remains a form of math with no known correspondence to reality.

In math, "dimension" is just a degree of freedom and you can have as many as you like and there's nothing difficult about understanding them, they are just numbers.

Likes Shakir
We only experience 3 space dimensions, and we don't have any kind of apparatus which hints at additional dimensions beyond what we can experience directly.
As Phinds, says it is possible to construct mathematical models with any number of dimensions, but if they don't correspond to any observable reality these models are not of much practical value.
String theories may possibly be verified in the future, and if they are we will have taken our understanding of nature into a whole new realm involving simultaneously something like 6 additional dimensions all at a sub microscopic scale, but for now though string theories are not verifiable, and are simply 'what if..?' based on nothing but math.
There is no definitive 'fourth' or higher dimension of space in any of today's mainstream physics.
What kind of sources have you been looking at which suggests there is?

One of the basic rules of science, like engineering, is add no unnecessary parts. You only need 3 spatial dimensions and an origin to uniquely define a location in space. Time is added as a fourth 'dimension' in GR as a mathematical convenience for bodies in motion. So there is no physical motivation for extra spatial dimensions. Extra dimensions do pop out of the math in things like string theory, but, this does not confer them any objective reality.

Last edited:
Likes Sid Echikson and phinds

Related to Understand 5th Dimension: Get Help Understanding 4th Dimension

1. What is the 5th dimension?

The 5th dimension is a theoretical concept in physics that suggests there are additional dimensions beyond the commonly known three dimensions of length, width, and height. It is often referred to as the "fifth dimension" because it is believed to be the next dimension after time, which is considered the fourth dimension.

2. How is the 5th dimension different from the 4th dimension?

The main difference between the 5th and 4th dimensions is that the 4th dimension is believed to be time, while the 5th dimension is thought to be a spatial dimension. Time is considered a one-way flow, while the 5th dimension is believed to have both a forward and backward flow, allowing for the possibility of time travel.

3. How can we understand the 5th dimension?

Understanding the 5th dimension is a complex and ongoing area of study in physics. One way to conceptualize it is to think of it as a higher level of consciousness that allows us to perceive and interact with multiple dimensions. Some theories suggest that the 5th dimension may also be accessible through meditation or altered states of consciousness.

4. How is the 5th dimension relevant to our daily lives?

The 5th dimension may have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and advanced technology. It also has philosophical and spiritual implications, as some believe that understanding and accessing the 5th dimension can lead to a deeper understanding of the universe and our place in it.

5. What is the role of science in understanding the 5th dimension?

Science plays a crucial role in our understanding of the 5th dimension. Through mathematical equations and experiments, scientists are able to explore and test theories about the 5th dimension. However, there is still much to be discovered and understood about this concept, and it will likely continue to be a topic of scientific research and debate for years to come.