Undergraduate mathematics for an engineer

In summary, electrical engineers are interested in mathematics and would like to continue learning on their own. College algebra is not included in the curriculum of electrical engineering, but other mathematics topics such as calculus, statistics, linear algebra, and differential equations are. Order does not play a significant role in studying these subjects. Various texts and courses can be used to further an engineer's knowledge in mathematics.
medwatt
I am an electrical engineer who is fascinated by mathematics. As you might expect, electrical engineering uses a lot of advanced concepts in mathematics from differential equations, linear algebra, calculus, complex analysis etc. However I would like to continue reading maths on my own.
I would like anybody who has finished undergraduate maths list down the subjects in the order they were studied at the university because order matters when studying maths.
eg.
First year.
1. College algebra
2. Introduction to Linear Algebra
3. Calculus 1
4. Statistics
etc etc etc

Please take my request seriously because I am serious about furthering my mathematical knowledge individually.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am going to assume that "college algebra" does NOT refer to "abstract algebra". In that case a reasonable order would be
College Algebra
Calculus I and then higher levels of Calculus
Statistics
Introduction to Linear Algebra
Ordinary Differential Equations
Partial Differential Equations

what about topics like Group Theory, Topology . . . things that are not done in engineering courses . . . where will their location be . . . all of the topics listed above I did in university with just introduction to PDE rather than anything indepth (Laplace equation, wave equation)

Math branches out. That is, you could go from analysis 1 to analysis 168 without ever taking abstract algebra, topology, etc. The only importance of order is from analysis 1 to analysis 2 to ... analysis 168.

Look at texts, syllabii, descriptions set out for courses at your university.

I too am an EE major with a a chuck of my undergraduate coursework set for pure mathematics. (Since I have 0 gen eds left and am taking upper division linear algebra on arrival). I was more worried not with order but what subjects as a whole would give me the most diverse experience of undergraduate mathematics across all availble fields.

Edit: I am assuming you're an EE major.

Last edited:
No. I just finished EE a year ago but I had always wanted to become a mathematician !

Ah. Well, I would still recommend looking at syllabii/course descriptions of courses from your former university(ies) that you believe you meet the prerequisites for and that interest you. Find the course text, go to google books and match course topics to the appropriate chapters that appear on the table of contents and you will have you order.

Note: Usually, a single text can span more than one course of that field and has maintains its personality from cover to cover.

Many texts appear in "who wants to be a mathematician" sticky in the top of the forum by mathwonk.

Maths has become an enormous field. Too big for anyone person.

Some books that might take you on beyond what you already know and introduce serious areas of mathematics that might be of interest.

Differential Geometry : Prakash

Elementary Differential Geometry : O'Neill

Applied Functional Analysis : Griffel

Introductory Functional Analysis with Applications : Kreysig

Discrete Mathematics : Biggs

Discrete Mathematics for New Technology : Garnier and Taylor

Introduction to Topological and Metric Spaces : Sutherland

Introduction to Group Theory : Ledermann

Related to Undergraduate mathematics for an engineer

1. What is the purpose of studying undergraduate mathematics for an engineer?

Undergraduate mathematics for an engineer is essential for developing problem-solving skills and analytical thinking. It provides a strong foundation for understanding complex engineering concepts and applying them in real-world situations.

2. What are the main topics covered in undergraduate mathematics for an engineer?

The main topics covered in undergraduate mathematics for an engineer include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, probability and statistics, and numerical methods. These topics are crucial for solving engineering problems and designing systems.

3. How does undergraduate mathematics for an engineer differ from regular undergraduate mathematics?

Undergraduate mathematics for an engineer is more focused on practical applications and problem-solving techniques relevant to the field of engineering. It also includes topics like engineering statistics and numerical methods, which are not typically covered in regular undergraduate mathematics courses.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to study undergraduate mathematics for an engineer?

While a strong foundation in mathematics can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of the subject to study undergraduate mathematics for an engineer. The course will cover all the necessary mathematical concepts and techniques needed for engineering applications.

5. How can I excel in undergraduate mathematics for an engineer?

To excel in undergraduate mathematics for an engineer, it is essential to practice regularly, understand the underlying concepts, and seek help from professors or tutors when needed. It is also crucial to apply the knowledge learned in class to solve engineering problems and take advantage of resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems.