Under what conditions is a current generated w/ a magnet and solenoid?

In summary, when a magnet is put into a solenoid, a current is generated due to Faraday's law. This current will depend on the speed of the magnet and the amount of magnetic flux associated with the solenoid.
miaou5

Homework Statement

When putting a magnet into a solenoid, under what conditions is a current generated?

The Attempt at a Solution

In order for a current to be generated, the magnet needed to be moving as it passed through the solenoid. This is due to Faraday’s law, which states that an electric current can only be induced in a circuit through a changing magnetic field. By pushing the magnet through the coil of wire, the magnetic field is altered and a current is subsequently induced (also known as electromagnetic induction).

Is this a correct explanation, or is there something more I should add? I can't help but feel like the answer is super short, but I'm not sure if there's anything else I'm missing. Thank you all so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think is correct but you should further use Lenz's law which will specify the direction of the current.

EMF is generated across a coil when there is change in the magnetic flux associated with it. This EMF leads to a flow of current through a coil.
The generated depends upon the rate of change of magnetic flux associated with the coil.

EMF = d∅/dt

Greater the speed of the magnet, greater the EMF generated and inturn, greater the current flowiwng through the coil.

when the magnet falls through the coil a current will be produced according to Faraday's law as has been stated earlier .I wanted to add that this current will be such that(anticlock wise from top) it will create a magnetic field along the axis of the solenoid which will oppose the motion of the falling magnet itself.This is Lenz's law.So the magnet will experience a drag and if the solenoid is assumed to be long enough it will approach a terminal velocity.

Thank you all so much! That makes a lot of sense, and I will include Lenz's law as well in my answer. A big thank you again!

Anytime mate..!

Best of luck

Related to Under what conditions is a current generated w/ a magnet and solenoid?

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is tightly wound in a cylindrical shape. It typically has a ferromagnetic core, such as iron, inside the coil.

2. What is the relationship between a magnet and a solenoid?

A magnet and a solenoid are closely related because when a magnet moves through a solenoid, it creates a current in the wire. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction.

3. How is a current generated with a magnet and solenoid?

A current is generated when a magnet is moved through a solenoid because the changing magnetic field created by the moving magnet induces an electric current in the wire.

4. What factors affect the amount of current generated in a magnet and solenoid?

The amount of current generated in a magnet and solenoid depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the magnet's movement, and the number of turns in the solenoid coil.

5. Under what conditions is a current generated with a magnet and solenoid?

A current is generated in a magnet and solenoid when there is relative motion between the two. This means that either the magnet or the solenoid must be moving for a current to be induced.