Unable to send current through high frequency transformer

In summary, the speaker is building a transformer with a 9.3 current gain at 20kHz, but is not seeing any voltage across the load. They have a 1k resistive load and suspect it may be due to the way they have wound the secondary. They ask for the proper method of winding and clarify that the gain ratio should be 9.3:1. They also mention that the core may be causing the issue and ask for more information on its material and shape. The conversation also includes a correction to the previous post regarding the turns ratio. The speaker is seeking ideas for the cause of the problem.
atich
I am building a transformer of about 9.3 gain operating at 20kHz. One would think this is saturation but if that were the case there would at least be some voltage across the load. The gain of the transformer is as expected for no load conditions but I cannot get this same voltage across a load. What could be the cause of this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the 9.3 voltage gain or current gain? What is the impedance of your load? How many turns do you have for your primary and secondary and what type of core are you using?

Do you have any ideas what the problem might be?

the 9.3 is current gain. There is no voltage across the load which is a 1k resistive load. I think it has to do with the manner in which I have wound the secondary. What is the proper method of doing this? This isn't saturation.

For a current gain of 9.3 the primary should have 9.3 more turns than the secondary. What happens to the signal generator output when you put a 1K resistor across it?

I don't understand your notation clearly. Are you saying that there is a 9.3:1 turns ratio or a 1:9.3 ratio? What is the measured voltage ratio?
What is the core made of and what shape is it? Do you have a picture. The reason I ask is that the fault seems so bizarre that there must be something drastically wrong.

Correction to post #4: I left out the word times and in "For a current gain of 9.3 the primary should have 9.3 times more turns than the secondary."

Related to Unable to send current through high frequency transformer

1. Why am I unable to send current through a high frequency transformer?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that the transformer is not properly connected to the power source or the load. Another reason could be that the transformer is damaged or malfunctioning. It is also possible that the frequency of the current is not suitable for the transformer, causing it to be unable to handle the current.

2. How do I troubleshoot the problem of being unable to send current through a high frequency transformer?

First, make sure that all connections are secure and properly connected. If the connections are fine, check the transformer for any physical damage or signs of malfunction. You can also try adjusting the frequency of the current to see if that resolves the issue. If none of these steps work, it may be necessary to replace the transformer.

3. Can overheating cause a high frequency transformer to be unable to send current?

Yes, overheating can definitely affect the performance of a high frequency transformer. When a transformer overheats, the windings can expand and become damaged, leading to a breakdown in the insulation and causing the transformer to be unable to handle the current. It is important to properly size and cool the transformer to prevent overheating.

4. Is it possible to repair a high frequency transformer that is unable to send current?

In some cases, it may be possible to repair a malfunctioning high frequency transformer. This depends on the extent of the damage and the availability of replacement parts. It is recommended to consult a professional for repairs, as working with high frequency transformers can be dangerous.

5. How do I ensure that my high frequency transformer is able to handle the current?

To ensure that your high frequency transformer can handle the current, it is important to properly size the transformer for the load and the frequency of the current. Additionally, proper cooling and maintenance of the transformer can help prevent damage and ensure its ability to handle the current. Regular testing and monitoring can also help detect any potential issues before they become bigger problems.