Two-State Vector Formalism - I like it

• I
  • Thread starter .Scott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of the Two-State Vector Formalism, a quantum mechanics interpretation that considers cause and effect to run both forward and backward through time. The article mentioned a planned experiment that aims to demonstrate this concept, and how it may provide a better explanation for quantum phenomena. However, it also raises new questions about the universe and the role of observation in quantum mechanics. While TSVF may not completely solve the measurement problem, it could potentially offer insight into predicting the outcomes of quantum experiments.
.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I just ran into a Scientific American article (link below) based on a recently updated paper (2nd link).
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/quantum-physics-may-be-even-spookier-than-you-think/
https://arxiv.org/abs/1707.09483

It was the first time I had run into the term "Two-State Vector Formalism". It's one of the QM interpretations that explicitly treat cause and effect as running both forward and backward through time.

The article reports on another QM experiment that is planned. It's one of those "QM says it will happen; and it certainly will; but we just got to really see it" experiments. The connection to TSVF is simply that the results are easier to explain in that framework.

But, for me, TSVF opens up new questions. Taken broadly, once any system is bounded at two moments in time, more can be known about it. Trivially, we would know more about our universe if we knew everything about the Big Bang and its final destiny. Together, the Big Bang and the final destiny combine to form the universe - perhaps in full detail. And they work together, each in a sense creating the other. So I wonder: Does QM mathematically prefer some BigBang/FinalDestiny combinations over others? Could we nail down patterns that would make some QM experiments more predictable?

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff, DrChinese and atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if the Two-State formalism solves the measurement problem. I think it still gives observers or measurements a special status, and so doesn't solve the measurement problem (which is the usual reason to search for alternatives to Copenhagen).

Related to Two-State Vector Formalism - I like it

1. What is the Two-State Vector Formalism?

The Two-State Vector Formalism (TSVF) is a mathematical framework used to describe quantum systems, specifically those that involve two-state systems. It was developed in the late 20th century as an alternative to traditional quantum mechanics, and it has been used to study a wide range of phenomena, from quantum entanglement to quantum computing.

2. How does TSVF differ from traditional quantum mechanics?

Traditional quantum mechanics uses a wave function to describe the state of a system, while TSVF uses a two-state vector to describe the state of a system. This two-state vector includes both the forward and backward evolution of the system, allowing for a more complete understanding of the system's dynamics.

3. What are the applications of TSVF?

TSVF has been used in a variety of fields, including quantum information theory, quantum optics, and quantum computing. It has also been used to study the behavior of particles in high energy physics and to explore the foundations of quantum mechanics.

4. What are the advantages of using TSVF?

One of the main advantages of TSVF is that it allows for a more complete and intuitive understanding of quantum systems. It also provides a more elegant and concise mathematical framework for describing these systems. Additionally, TSVF has been shown to have applications in areas such as quantum cryptography and quantum communication.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with TSVF?

While TSVF has been successful in describing many quantum phenomena, it does have some limitations. One of the main challenges is that it is not always applicable to systems with more than two states. There are also ongoing debates about the interpretation and implications of TSVF, which may be seen as a limitation by some researchers.