Two positive point charges q1 and q2 are separated by a distance d.

In summary, a general expression for the distance from Q1 at which the electric field is 0 can be found by defining Q2 as alphaQ1 (where alpha > 0 and not equal to 1). This expression includes alpha, d, and possible numeric constants. To check the validity of this expression, Q2 can be set to 4Q1. The mathematics for solving this problem are correct, with the exception of the first line where the minus sign should have been included. The reasoning for introducing the minus sign is due to Q1 and Q2 both being positive charges and the direction of the electric field being defined as up and right.
Joa Boaz
Two positive charges Q1 and Q2 are separated by a distance d. Find a general expression for the distance from Q1 at which the electric field is 0 by defining Q2 as alphaQ1 (alpha > 0 with alpha not equal to 1). This expression should contain alpha, d, and possible some numeric constants. Check that your expression makes sense by setting Q2 = 4Q1

I have attached the problem and what I have worked out.
IMG_0117.jpg
This is what I have, but unsure about it
IMG_0118.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
In your first expression for the field, you have only added the magnitude of the fields from the different charges. Then in the second line you have changed the sign of one of the charges (which is what it should be - between the charges the fields act in different directions).

Finally you should solve for x (which should be trivial given you have ##d = x(1+\sqrt\alpha)##. Apart from that, I am not sure what you are really asking. You should also argue why your result for the check is reasonable.

Thank you.

I am just trying to see whether I am going about solving the above problem correctly. Am I taking the right path? I find physics confusion, I guess, it doesn't help that most of the time my instructor is merely doing the same exactly example that the author provides step by step in the textbook. I am just trying to understand physics 2.

IMG_0119.jpg

The mathematics of your first post were correct apart from the first row. Since you should be in between the charges, x shoud be between 0 and d - so your result from there was correct. The only thing I was critisising was the first row which looked strange and did not explain the minus sign you introduced in the second.

Oh, I see, I am sorry, I didn't understand your comment. I thought you said that my whole equation was wrong. The reason I have a negative it is because Q1 and Q2 are both positive and if I have up and right as my positive. This seems to suggest that Q1 electric field are moving away or to the left which means it is negative. At least, that was my take of this problem. But, I wouldn't be surprise to see that I am complete wrong.

No, your reasoning is the correct one. However, this should have showed up as a a minus sign already in the first line.

I see. Thank you.

Related to Two positive point charges q1 and q2 are separated by a distance d.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric force between two positive point charges?

The formula for calculating the electric force between two positive point charges q1 and q2 separated by a distance d is F = k(q1q2)/d^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2).

2. How does the distance between the two charges affect the electric force?

The electric force between two positive point charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases.

3. What is the direction of the electric force between two positive point charges?

The electric force between two positive point charges is a vector quantity and its direction is along the line joining the two charges. It is repulsive for two positive charges and attractive for a positive and a negative charge.

4. Can the electric force between two positive point charges be zero?

Yes, the electric force between two positive point charges can be zero if either one or both of the charges are zero, or if the distance between them is infinite.

5. How does the magnitude of the charges affect the electric force between them?

The magnitude of the charges has a direct impact on the electric force between them. The greater the magnitude of the charges, the stronger the force. For example, if one of the charges is doubled, the force will also double.