Two level system in a thermal noise electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses using SE to numerically simulate the evolution of a 2 level system under an external sinusoidal electric field. There is also another electric field present, created by the coupling of the 2 level system to a resonant circuit, and the individual is interested in the case when the system is in thermal equilibrium with the circuit. They are unsure how to model the thermal noise-like electric field in their Hamiltonian and are seeking advice. This topic is considered niche and they plan to do a literature review on it.
kelly0303
Hello! I have a 2 level system with a dipole moment d. I want to simulate numerically the evolution of the system under an external sinusoidal electric field (far off resonant). This is straightforward using SE. However I also have on top of that another electric field, created by a coupling of the 2 level system (ion) to a resonant circuit (not necessarily relevant but in this case I have an ion inside a Penning trap inducing image charges to a resonant RLC circuit). I'm interested in the case when the ion is in thermal equilibrium with the rlc circuit. I assume that the noise from the circuit will induce further population transfer between the 2 levels of the system. However I'm not sure how to model this thermal noise-like electric field, as an extra off diagonal term in my Hamiltonian. Can someone advice me about it? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is niche research stuff. Time to do a literature review :smile: