Troubleshooting Damped Free Forced Vibration Solutions

In summary, something is not adding up and the question asks for help in solving a differential equation for a particular solution.
shorty1
Something i am doing is not adding up. I don't understand the part with the external force. here's the question:

Show that the solution for the damped free forced vibration given by View attachment 155 is View attachment 156 when View attachment 157, where View attachment 158

something along the way I'm doing wrong, because not for heck can i get that fraction with the sin theta part.

Help Please?

Attachments

• CodeCogsEqn (3).gif
    CodeCogsEqn (3).gif
    627 bytes · Views: 74
  • CodeCogsEqn (4).gif
    CodeCogsEqn (4).gif
    1 KB · Views: 72
  • CodeCogsEqn (5).gif
    CodeCogsEqn (5).gif
    270 bytes · Views: 78
  • CodeCogsEqn (6).gif
    CodeCogsEqn (6).gif
    523 bytes · Views: 76
Physics news on Phys.org
shorty said:
Something i am doing is not adding up. I don't understand the part with the external force. here's the question:

Show that the solution for the damped free forced vibration given by View attachment 155 is View attachment 156 when View attachment 157, where View attachment 158

something along the way I'm doing wrong, because not for heck can i get that fraction with the sin theta part.

Help Please?

If you solve the homogeneous equation $my^{\prime\prime}+ky=0$, you get $y_c = c_1\cos(\omega t)+c_2\sin(\omega t)$, where $\omega = \sqrt{\dfrac{k}{m}}$.

Now, for the particular solution, we can proceed by the method of undetermined coefficients where $y_p = (A+Bt)\cos(\omega t) + (C+Dt)\sin(\omega t)$. This then satisfies the differential equation $my_p^{\prime\prime}+ky_p=\cos(\theta t)$.

Solve for $A$, $B$, $C$, and $D$; you should then get the particular solution. $y=y_c+y_p$ should then be the desired final result.

I hope this helps!

shorty said:

Help Please?

This is a "show" question, which means you only need demonstrate that the given solution is indeed a solution of the DE. Presumably you can solve the homogeneous part, so you need only show that \(f(t)=\frac{t \sin(\omega t)}{2\omega}\) is a solution of:

\(my''+ky=\cos(\omega t) \)

You might note at this point that as \(\Theta=\omega \) you have resonance and the amplitude of the oscillation becomes arbitarily large as \(t\) increases without bound.

CB

Chris L T521 said:
If you solve the homogeneous equation $my^{\prime\prime}+ky=0$, you get $y_c = c_1\cos(\omega t)+c_2\sin(\omega t)$, where $\omega = \sqrt{\dfrac{k}{m}}$.

Now, for the particular solution, we can proceed by the method of undetermined coefficients where $y_p = (A+Bt)\cos(\omega t) + (C+Dt)\sin(\omega t)$. This then satisfies the differential equation $my_p^{\prime\prime}+ky_p=\cos(\theta t)$.

Solve for $A$, $B$, $C$, and $D$; you should then get the particular solution. $y=y_c+y_p$ should then be the desired final result.

I hope this helps!

This was the easy part. I got that far but when I did my substitution for the coefficients into the equation my particular solution wasn't adding up.. :(

This is what i am unsure about. How do i go about showing that \(f(t)=\frac{t \sin(\omega t)}{2\omega}\) is a solution of:

\(my''+ky=\cos(\omega t) \)? i don't understand the resonance and the amplitude aspects..

CaptainBlack said:
This is a "show" question, which means you only need demonstrate that the given solution is indeed a solution of the DE. Presumably you can solve the homogeneous part, so you need only show that \(f(t)=\frac{t \sin(\omega t)}{2\omega}\) is a solution of:

\(my''+ky=\cos(\omega t) \)

You might note at this point that as \(\Theta=\omega \) you have resonance and the amplitude of the oscillation becomes arbitarily large as \(t\) increases without bound.

CB

ifeg said:
This is what i am unsure about. How do i go about showing that \(f(t)=\frac{t \sin(\omega t)}{2\omega}\) is a solution of:

\(my''+ky=\cos(\omega t) \)? i don't understand the resonance and the amplitude aspects..
Calculate the first and second derivatives of y. Substitute them into the left hand side of the given differential equation. Simplify the result. The simplified result will equal the right hand side, provided $\omega$ is equal to a particular expression involving m and k. QED.

Thank you for the tip. i tried it though and it didn't quite work out. but i will keep playing with it and see.
Mr Fantastic said:
Calculate the first and second derivatives of y. Substitute them into the left hand side of the given differential equation. Simplify the result. The simplified result will equal the right hand side, provided $\omega$ is equal to a particular expression involving m and k. QED.

ifeg said:
Thank you for the tip. i tried it though and it didn't quite work out. but i will keep playing with it and see.

I can assure you it does, if you post what you have tried here we will see if we can help you fing the errors etc...

CB

Related to Troubleshooting Damped Free Forced Vibration Solutions

What is damped free forced vibration?

Damped free forced vibration refers to the oscillatory motion of a system that is subjected to an external force while also experiencing damping, which is a dissipative force that reduces the amplitude of the vibration over time.

What causes damped free forced vibration?

Damped free forced vibration is caused by the combination of an external force acting on a system and the presence of damping, which is typically caused by friction or other dissipative forces within the system.

How is the damping ratio related to damped free forced vibration?

The damping ratio, represented by the Greek letter ζ (zeta), is a measure of the system's damping and is directly related to the rate at which the amplitude of the vibration decreases over time. A higher damping ratio results in a faster decrease in amplitude and a shorter duration of the vibration.

What is the difference between damped and undamped vibration?

The main difference between damped and undamped vibration is the presence of damping. Undamped vibration occurs in the absence of damping forces, resulting in a constant amplitude and frequency of oscillation. Damped vibration, on the other hand, experiences a decrease in amplitude over time due to the presence of damping forces.

How is resonance affected by damped free forced vibration?

Resonance, which occurs when a system is subjected to an external force at its natural frequency, is affected by damped free forced vibration in that the presence of damping can decrease the amplitude of the resonance peak. This is because damping dissipates energy and reduces the system's ability to resonate at its natural frequency.