Troubles applying for US PhD after Cam Part III

In summary, the speaker has been admitted to Part III at Cambridge and is concerned about the difficulties in applying for a US PhD after completing the program. They mention that Part III exam results come out in June, while most US PhD application deadlines are in January or December the year before, making it difficult to use their Part III performance in the application process. They also mention that instructors typically do not write recommendations until the Part III math results are out, which is a problem for international students. The speaker asks for advice and suggests looking for a research assistant job or taking a year off to spend time with family as alternatives.
Stan Marsh
Hello everyone,
I have just got admitted by Part III at Cambridge. This is a great program so I probably will go there.
One thing concerns me is the troubles applying to US college PhD after finishing Part III. Since all Part III exam results come out around June, and deadlines in applying for US PhD are mostly Jan or Dec the year before, it seems one cannot use his/her Part III performance. This may cause great trouble for the admission to evaluate your materials.
What's more, I have heard that instructors usually do not write the recommendations for you until the Part III math results is out (if you are an international student). That's another big problem.

If anyone knows anything about this, please tell me about it. Really appreciate your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is usually the problem with 1 year masters. Most of the students in Part III are those who did their UG in Cambridge, so getting a letter will be easy, but for internationals it is quite hard. If I were you, I will look for some RA kind of job (don't know if it is possible for Physics) or take an year off and spend time with family!

Related to Troubles applying for US PhD after Cam Part III

1. What are the common problems faced while applying for a PhD in the US after completing Cam Part III?

The most common problems faced while applying for a PhD in the US after completing Cam Part III are lack of research experience, unfamiliarity with the US application process, difficulty in obtaining strong letters of recommendation, low GRE scores, and limited funding opportunities for international students.

2. How can I improve my chances of getting accepted into a US PhD program after Cam Part III?

To improve your chances of getting accepted into a US PhD program after Cam Part III, it is important to gain research experience through internships or independent projects, familiarize yourself with the US application process, and work on obtaining strong letters of recommendation from professors who know you well. Additionally, you can retake the GRE to improve your scores and explore funding opportunities such as scholarships and grants.

3. Is it necessary to have a Master's degree before applying for a US PhD program after Cam Part III?

No, it is not necessary to have a Master's degree before applying for a US PhD program after Cam Part III. Many universities in the US offer direct PhD programs for students with a Bachelor's degree. However, having a Master's degree can strengthen your application and make you a more competitive candidate.

4. Can I apply for a US PhD program in a different field than my Cam Part III specialization?

Yes, you can apply for a US PhD program in a different field than your Cam Part III specialization. However, you may need to provide a strong justification for why you are changing fields and how your previous education and experience have prepared you for the new field of study.

5. What are the language requirements for applying to a US PhD program after Cam Part III?

The language requirements for applying to a US PhD program after Cam Part III vary depending on the university and program. Most universities require international students to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to demonstrate proficiency in English. Some universities may also require a language test specific to your field of study. It is important to check the specific requirements of each university you are applying to.