Trouble working with LC circuits

In summary, the minimum and maximum frequencies you can run in a circuit with a 60Hz supply are dependent on the Q of the circuit. If you want to experiment with a higher frequency, you will need to use a signal generator.
johnboyman
Hello. I am experimenting with LC Circuits. So far I know that 1/2*Pi *Sqrt(LC) will give you the frequency of the lc cricuit. So when i decide which components to use I can start with that. I was wondering though in a circuit with a 60 hertz supply. What is the minimum and maximum frequencies that i can run in that circuit without it damaging or negatively effecting a transformers performance? If i wanted to raise the frequency above 60 hertz what kind of ways can i use to stop negative feedback? thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
johnboyman said:
Hello. I am experimenting with LC Circuits. So far I know that 1/2*Pi *Sqrt(LC) will give you the frequency of the lc cricuit. So when i decide which components to use I can start with that. I was wondering though in a circuit with a 60 hertz supply. What is the minimum and maximum frequencies that i can run in that circuit without it damaging or negatively effecting a transformers performance? If i wanted to raise the frequency above 60 hertz what kind of ways can i use to stop negative feedback? thanks.
Be careful changing the frequency of the signal you want to put through a "60Hz" transformer. At lower frequencies you will tend to saturate the transformer, and at higher frequencies you will generally experience higher losses and overheating, possibly leading to a fire. Please do not ask me how I know this... :wink:

Why don't you just use your signal generator to drive into your LC experimental circuits, rather than going through a coupling transformer?

Likes Merlin3189
I am trying to learn and perfect my formulas.

Why is 60 Hz at all significant? You are presumably not going to connect your circuit directly to an outlet on the wall?
If you are experimenting you should -as Berkeman has already pointed out- use a signal generator.

Likes berkeman
johnboyman said:
I was wondering though in a circuit with a 60 hertz supply.
It worries me that you are thinking in terms of using the mains as an initial source of signals. For other frequencies, the mains will be of no use. If you want a cheap audio tone source then why not use your PC and audio card? There are many tone generators available on the Web - and all signals would be at a safe level!

Likes berkeman
Plenty of used signal generator for cheap

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...erator&_sacat=181939&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4

Don't play with the AC line. If you use ac line 60Hz, you are limited to single frequency. Also, as you lower the frequency, the L and C are going to be much higher values and cost a lot more money. With generator, you go higher frequency and get components really cheap. You might save a portion of money buying the components and use on a generator. Generator can be used in the future, your L and C likely go to waste after the experiment.

If you are getting into electronics, get a decent one, it's important to have a signal generator.

I forgot to mention last night, even if everything works out, you cannot sweep frequency with line 60Hz. Sweeping frequency is important to experiment with LC circuits to look at the bandwidth. So if you design the 60Hz resonance circuit, then what? You cannot proof the Q or anything. Hell, you can't even proof you are at the center frequency at 60Hz if you cannot change the frequency to sweep to verify.

The only thing you can proof for a series resonance circuit using line 60Hz is when things start smoking or the circuit breaker pops! Remember is the series res. circuit, it's like an open circuit except at the resonance frequency, then the impedance goes very low depends on the Q, it will put a short circuit on the line( or across the stepdown transformer you use).

Related to Trouble working with LC circuits

1. What are LC circuits and how do they work?

LC circuits are electronic circuits that consist of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected together. They work by storing and releasing energy in the form of electrical oscillations.

2. What are some common issues that can arise when working with LC circuits?

Some common issues include resonance, parasitic capacitance, and damping. Resonance occurs when the frequency of the input signal matches the natural frequency of the circuit, causing it to oscillate at a high amplitude. Parasitic capacitance refers to unintentional capacitance that can affect the performance of the circuit. Damping occurs when energy is lost due to resistance, resulting in a decrease in the amplitude of the oscillations.

3. How can I troubleshoot problems with LC circuits?

First, check all connections and make sure they are secure. Next, check for any faulty components such as a damaged inductor or capacitor. You can also use a multimeter to measure the resistance and capacitance of the circuit to identify any issues. Additionally, adjusting the values of the components or changing the frequency of the input signal can help troubleshoot problems.

4. What are some applications of LC circuits?

LC circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers. They are also used in power supplies, filters, and oscillators. Additionally, LC circuits are an important component in wireless communication systems.

5. How can I improve the performance of an LC circuit?

To improve the performance of an LC circuit, you can adjust the values of the components to achieve resonance at the desired frequency. You can also minimize parasitic capacitance by using high-quality components and proper circuit layout. Additionally, reducing damping by using low resistance components can improve the efficiency of the circuit.