Trouble with Hermitian operators?

In summary: But you have the right idea: for any complex number ##a##, ##|a|^2 = |a^*|^2 = (a^* a)^* = a a^*##. So, if ##AB - BA## is hermitian, you have$$|\langle AB-BA \rangle |^2 = \langle AB-BA | AB-BA \rangle = \langle AB | AB \rangle + \langle BA | BA \rangle - \langle AB | BA \rangle - \langle BA | AB \rangle$$And this is what you get when you apply (21).
21joanna12
I am looking at the derivation of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle presented here: http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~jemoore/p137a/uncertaintynotes.pdf

and am confused about line (21)...

I do not understand why [itex]AB[/itex] and [itex]BA[/itex] are complex conjugates of each other... (I'm still in high school so I don't really have much of a background in the algebra of operators).

If I assume what is written in line 21, I think I get the following lines- if [itex]AB[/itex] and [itex]BA[/itex] are complex conjugates, then [itex]|\langle AB-BA \rangle |^2 = |2\langle AB\rangle |^2 = 4|\langle AB\rangle |^2[/itex] I think... The expected value signs are what is confusing me most...

Thank you for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
21joanna12 said:
I do not understand why [itex]AB[/itex] and [itex]BA[/itex] are complex conjugates of each other... (I'm still in high school so I don't really have much of a background in the algebra of operators).
A hermitian operator has the property ##A^\dagger = A##, where the ##\dagger## symbol refers to hermitian conjugation, which is the extension to operators (or matrices) of complex conjugation. Also, when applying hermitian conjugation to a product of operators, you have to invert their order:
$$
(A B)^\dagger = B^\dagger A^\dagger
$$
So, if ##A## and ##B## are hermitian, you get
$$
(A B)^\dagger = B^\dagger A^\dagger = BA
$$
The complex conjugate of a bracket is given by
$$
\left( \langle \psi | A | \phi \rangle \right)^* = \langle \phi | A^\dagger | \psi \rangle
$$
When you combine these things together, you find
$$
\begin{align*}
\left( \langle AB \rangle \right)^* &= \left( \langle \psi | AB | \psi \rangle \right)^* \\
&= \langle \psi | (A B)^\dagger | \psi \rangle \\
&= \langle \psi | BA | \psi \rangle \\
&= \langle B A \rangle
\end{align*}
$$
So, as for all complex numbers ##|z| = |z^*|##, you have that ##|\langle AB \rangle| = |\langle BA \rangle|##.

21joanna12 said:
If I assume what is written in line 21, I think I get the following lines- if [itex]AB[/itex] and [itex]BA[/itex] are complex conjugates, then [itex]|\langle AB-BA \rangle |^2 = |2\langle AB\rangle |^2 = 4|\langle AB\rangle |^2[/itex] I think...
You can only write an inequality here, not equalities.

Likes 21joanna12

Related to Trouble with Hermitian operators?

1. What are Hermitian operators?

Hermitian operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to represent physical observables, such as position, momentum, and energy. They are self-adjoint operators that have the property of being equal to their own conjugate transpose.

2. What is the significance of Hermitian operators?

Hermitian operators play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they correspond to measurable quantities in physical systems. They also have important properties, such as having real eigenvalues and orthogonality of eigenvectors, which make them useful in solving problems in quantum mechanics.

3. How are Hermitian operators different from other operators?

Unlike other operators, Hermitian operators are self-adjoint, meaning they are equal to their own conjugate transpose. This property ensures that they have real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenvectors. Furthermore, the eigenvalues of Hermitian operators correspond to the possible outcomes of measurements in quantum mechanics.

4. Can all operators be represented as Hermitian operators?

No, not all operators can be represented as Hermitian operators. Only operators that are self-adjoint and have real eigenvalues can be considered Hermitian. Operators that do not satisfy these properties are known as non-Hermitian operators.

5. What are some common examples of Hermitian operators?

Position, momentum, and energy are some of the most common examples of Hermitian operators. Other examples include angular momentum, spin, and the Hamiltonian operator. In general, any physical observable in quantum mechanics can be represented by a Hermitian operator.