Trouble understanding ray optics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the sun emitting radiation in all directions and the confusion that arises when trying to resolve it as an object. It is explained that the rays from the sun are not strictly parallel and therefore, when viewed from a distance, the sun can be resolved as an object. This is further compared to the case of stars, which are truly infinite and can only be viewed as point objects. The confusion is attributed to a lack of understanding of geometric optics.
AStaunton
The sun emits radiation in all directions. On the Earth, the rays from the sun are approximately parallel. Whatever side of the Earth is facing the sun at any given time is completely bathed in light.
When I look at the sun, I can see it as an object..ie. my eyes can figure out where the rays emitted from the sun originated from, but the rays are coming from infinity, so how can my eyes figure out that they come from a specific object? It feels like a contradiction, how can I make out the sun when I am only looking at a tiny portion of its rays..it feels like only one or the other should be possible,1) if the sun emits rays in all directions and if any object (like the Earth) is in the way it will be bathed in light, then I should not be able to resolve it as an object.
2) If I can resolve it as an object then how can it be emitting light in all directions..surely it should only emit light in a "searchlight" type way ie. a beam of light.?

I know this is stupid question but I just can't figure out what I'm misunderstanding, and I hope that I have made clear what my question is.

I'm fairly certain that it stems from not really getting to grips with geometric optics that I'm having this problem.

Science news on Phys.org
Try thinking of the eye as a pin-hole camera -- a box with a hole in one side to let light in.

220px-Pinhole-camera.svg.png

The question is NOT stupid at all. What's taught in schools can create such confusions. The distance is very large, but so is the diameter of sun. Therefore, the rays are NOT strictly parallel. Rays coming from two diametrically opposite ends DO make an angle on our eyes. Thus you resolve the sun as an object. Now let's take a case of a truly near-infinite situation, which would be the case of stars. We resolve them as POINT objects, i.e. it can be assumed that only one ray of light pointed towards us met our eye.

Related to Trouble understanding ray optics

1. What is ray optics?

Ray optics is a branch of optics that deals with the behavior of light as it travels in straight lines or rays. It focuses on the study of the reflection, refraction, and absorption of light.

2. Why is it important to understand ray optics?

Understanding ray optics is important because it helps us to explain and predict the behavior of light in various optical systems. This knowledge is crucial in the design and functioning of devices such as lenses, mirrors, and prisms used in everyday life.

3. What are some common applications of ray optics?

Ray optics has numerous practical applications, such as in the design of optical instruments like telescopes, microscopes, and cameras. It is also used in the development of optical fibers for telecommunication and in the field of medicine for imaging and diagnosis.

4. How does light behave in ray optics?

In ray optics, light is treated as a straight line or ray that travels in a specific direction until it encounters an obstacle or a change in medium. It follows the laws of reflection and refraction, which determine how the light ray will change direction when it interacts with surfaces or passes through different substances.

5. What are some common misconceptions about ray optics?

One common misconception about ray optics is that light only travels in straight lines. However, in certain conditions, light can bend or curve, such as when passing through a medium with varying density. Another misconception is that light travels at an infinite speed, when in reality, it has a finite speed.