Trouble analysing simple pin jointed problem

• Thread starter FreeBodyDiag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pin
In summary, the individual should create a free body diagram of the system and formulate equations of equilibrium to solve for the reaction forces at pins A, B, and P. Considering the element PBL separately can also help in finding the reaction force at P. It may be useful to also examine the free body diagrams of each individual pin. If difficulties persist, sharing the equations and results from WorkingModel 2D can provide helpful feedback.
FreeBodyDiag
Hello

I feel like I am overlooking some fundamentals when I am trying to solve/set up the equations to solve the following pin jointed problem. The only load on the system is at L. I ultimately need to solve all the reactions on the pins at A, B and the link at P (though I believe what is happening at P can be ignored when solving the forces at A and B).

I am concerned about getting the signage right on my terms (+ or -) as well as simplifying some of the reaction forces at the pins. I also am getting confused when I try to reconcile and approach the problem by considering the element PBL by itself in a free body diagram.

[PLAIN]http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8058/problemfv.jpg

To make things more confusing I tried setting this problem up using WorkingModel 2D to try an set me straight but for some reason the answer I got from it just doesn't make sense. The reaction forces in the x direction don't see to add up to zero. Maybe I set up the problem incorrectly in the software?

[PLAIN]http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7528/forces.jpg

Thanks for any feedback.

FBD

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
of the system should be done, and equations of equilibrium formulated. Then solve for the reaction forces at A and B. By considering the element PBL by itself, you can find the reaction force at P. Also have a look at the FBD of each individual pin. This will help you to see if all forces are balanced or not. If you are still having trouble, it may be useful to post the equations you have set up so far and the results you got from WorkingModel 2D.

Related to Trouble analysing simple pin jointed problem

1. What is a simple pin jointed problem?

A simple pin jointed problem is one in which a structure is composed of interconnected members joined together at their ends by pins or hinges. This type of problem is commonly used in structural analysis to determine the forces acting on each member.

2. What are the common difficulties in analysing a simple pin jointed problem?

Some of the common difficulties in analysing a simple pin jointed problem include determining the reactions at the supports, identifying the forces acting on each member, and solving the equations of equilibrium to determine the unknown forces.

3. How do you approach solving a simple pin jointed problem?

The first step in solving a simple pin jointed problem is to draw a free body diagram of the structure, including all the known and unknown forces. Then, the equations of equilibrium can be applied to solve for the unknown forces. It is also important to check for any redundancies in the structure to ensure accurate results.

4. What are some tips for successfully analysing a simple pin jointed problem?

Some tips for successfully analysing a simple pin jointed problem include labeling all the forces correctly, carefully choosing the appropriate equations of equilibrium, and ensuring that all the known information is included in the analysis. It is also helpful to check the final results with a known solution or by using a software tool.

5. Are there any software tools available for analysing simple pin jointed problems?

Yes, there are many software tools available for analysing simple pin jointed problems, such as SAP2000, ANSYS, and AutoCAD. These tools can help with drawing the structure, applying the equations of equilibrium, and obtaining accurate results quickly and efficiently.