Trigonometry Question: Find the Value of sin(α +2β) When cot (α + β) = 0

In summary, if cot (α + β) = 0, then the value of sin(α +2β) is sin α. Despite trying to solve it, the correct answer of sin β may be confusing, but the answer is actually sin α.
mia5

Homework Statement

If cot (α + β) = 0 then sin(α +2β) is
the options are
a. sin α b. cos α c. sin β d. cos 2β

Homework Equations

There is as such no equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I did try to solve it but I kept arriving at the wrong answer. The correct answer is c. sin β while the answer I keep getting is a. sin α

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can show us what you have so far, and we can try to find the error.

Are you sure that c) is the correct answer? Try with α=60° and β=30°. I think your result is the correct one.

ehild

mia5 said:

Homework Statement

If cot (α + β) = 0 then sin(α +2β) is
the options are
a. sin α b. cos α c. sin β d. cos 2β

Homework Equations

There is as such no equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I did try to solve it but I kept arriving at the wrong answer. The correct answer is c. sin β while the answer I keep getting is a. sin α

Your answer (sin α) is correct.

Related to Trigonometry Question: Find the Value of sin(α +2β) When cot (α + β) = 0

1. What is the formula for finding the value of sin(α + 2β)?

The formula for finding the value of sin(α + 2β) is sin(α + 2β) = sin(α)cos(2β) + cos(α)sin(2β).

2. How do I solve for α and β in the given equation cot(α + β) = 0?

To solve for α and β, we need to use the trigonometric identity cot(α + β) = cot(α)cot(β) - 1. Since cot(α + β) is 0, we can rearrange the equation to get cot(α)cot(β) = 1. From here, we can use the inverse cotangent function to find the values of α and β.

3. Can I use any other trigonometric identity to solve this problem?

Yes, you can also use the identity cot(α + β) = (cot(α)cot(β) - 1)/(cot(α) + cot(β)). This will give you the same solution for α and β as using the inverse cotangent function.

4. Is there a specific method for solving trigonometric equations like this?

Yes, there are multiple methods for solving trigonometric equations. One method is to use trigonometric identities, as shown in the previous questions. Another method is to use the unit circle and the Pythagorean trigonometric identities.

5. How can I check if my solution for sin(α + 2β) is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging in the values of α and β into the original equation and solving for sin(α + 2β). If your solution is correct, it should satisfy the equation and give you the same value for sin(α + 2β) on both sides.