Trigonometric Equation: Solving Sin 2x = -2cos x in the Interval 0 ≤ x < 2∏

In summary: Well, you were partly correct in your first way, but you didn't notice that sin(x) = -1 is also a solution. When you factor the expression, both solutions become obvious.I actually did do that in my notes. I didn't include it since it doesn't give me an extra solution :).
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

All solutions in the interval 0 ≤ x < 2∏

Sin 2x = -2cos x

The Attempt at a Solution

I went about it in two different ways.

The first way:

I simply used the double angle formula to get

2sinx cosx + 2cos x = 0

From this we get that whatever makes cos x = 0 will make the whole equation 0.

There are two answers within the interval; ∏/2 and 3∏/2.

This is the correct solution.

When I was studying for my midterm I went about it in a different way though, and I only got one solution. I was wondering what I was doing wrong as it seems to be all legal algebra to me.

2sinx cosx = -2 cos x

divide both sides by cos x

2sinx = -2

divide by 2

sin x = -1

This only gives me one solution, 3∏/2.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Feodalherren said:

Homework Statement

All solutions in the interval 0 ≤ x < 2∏

Sin 2x = -2cos x

The Attempt at a Solution

I went about it in two different ways.

The first way:

I simply used the double angle formula to get

2sinx cosx + 2cos x = 0

From this we get that whatever makes cos x = 0 will make the whole equation 0.

There are two answers within the interval; ∏/2 and 3∏/2.

This is the correct solution.

When I was studying for my midterm I went about it in a different way though, and I only got one solution. I was wondering what I was doing wrong as it seems to be all legal algebra to me.

2sinx cosx = -2 cos x

divide both sides by cos x
This is not the right thing to do. When you do this, you will lose whatever solutions correspond to cos(x) = 0.

Instead of dividing through by a variable, factor things.

2sin(x) cos(x) + 2cos(x) = 0

2cos(x)(sin(x) + 1) = 0

And so on.
Feodalherren said:
2sinx = -2

divide by 2

sin x = -1

This only gives me one solution, 3∏/2.

What am I doing wrong?

Ok cool so the first way was correct because when I divide by cos x I'm essentially doing illegal algebra because I technically cannot know if cos x = 0?

I think I got it. Thank you!

Feodalherren said:
Ok cool so the first way was correct because when I divide by cos x I'm essentially doing illegal algebra because I technically cannot know if cos x = 0?
Well, you were partly correct in your first way, but you didn't notice that sin(x) = -1 is also a solution. When you factor the expression, both solutions become obvious.

I actually did do that in my notes. I didn't include it since it doesn't give me an extra solution :).
Thanks.

Related to Trigonometric Equation: Solving Sin 2x = -2cos x in the Interval 0 ≤ x < 2∏

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and an unknown variable. The goal of solving a trigonometric equation is to find the value(s) of the variable that make the equation true.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

The first step in solving a trigonometric equation is to isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation. Then, use inverse trigonometric functions to find the value of the variable. It is important to check for extraneous solutions, as trigonometric equations may have multiple solutions.

3. What is the difference between a trigonometric equation and a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that can be solved to find specific values for the variable, while a trigonometric identity is an equation that is always true for all values of the variable. Trigonometric identities are often used to simplify or prove trigonometric equations.

4. Can you use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving the equation by hand, as calculators may not always provide accurate or complete solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are used in a variety of fields, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They can be used to calculate distances, angles, and forces in real-life situations, such as building bridges, designing roller coasters, and predicting the movement of planets.