Trig Identity Problem: Solve sin \theta = -5/13 & cos \theta = -(√194)/13

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct answer to the equation sin theta = -5/13 and clarifies the signs of cosine in different quadrants. The correct answer is cos theta = -12/13 and in quadrant IV, cosine is positive. The mnemonic "All Students Take Calculus" is mentioned as a helpful tool to remember the signs of trig ratios in each quadrant.
CrossFit415
Sin [tex]\theta[/tex] = -5/13,
(3[tex]\pi[/tex] / 2) < [tex]\theta[/tex] < 2 [tex]\pi[/tex]

So I got cos [tex]\theta[/tex] = - (sqrt 194) / 13
Is this the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
How u manage to get that? Its incorrect

I used sin^2theta + cos^2theta = 1

And I bet that when you did, you squared -5/13 and got -25/169? If so, that's not right -- it's +25/169.

Also, what quadrant is
[tex]\frac{3\pi}{2} < \theta < 2\pi[/tex]
? And what is the sign for the cosine ratio in that quadrant?

Finally, please don't use LaTex for single characters. It doesn't look right. Click the inequality I wrote above to see how to type it.

Cos theta = -12/13 . And (-) since it's in quadrant IV.

Thanks

CrossFit415 said:
Cos theta = -12/13 . And (-) since it's in quadrant IV.

No, no, no, cosine is positive in Q IV. You really need to remember the signs of the trig ratios in each quadrant.

Q I: All
Q II: sine (and cosecant)
Q III: tangent (and cotangent)
Q IV: cosine (and secant)

When I learned this, I was taught the mnemonic "All Students Take Calculus" to help me remember.

Related to Trig Identity Problem: Solve sin \theta = -5/13 & cos \theta = -(√194)/13

1. How do I solve for θ in the given trig identity problem?

To solve for θ, we can use the inverse trigonometric functions, specifically arcsine and arccosine. First, we can rewrite the given equations as sin θ = -5/13 and cos θ = -(√194)/13. Then, we can take the inverse sine of both sides of the first equation to get θ = arcsin(-5/13). Similarly, we can take the inverse cosine of both sides of the second equation to get θ = arccos(-(√194)/13). This will give us two possible values for θ.

2. Why are there two possible values for θ?

Since the sine and cosine functions have a period of 2π, there are multiple values of θ that satisfy the given equations. To find all possible solutions, we need to consider the unit circle and use reference angles to determine the other values of θ that satisfy the equations.

3. How do I determine the reference angle for θ?

The reference angle is the acute angle between the terminal side of θ and the x-axis. To determine the reference angle, we can use the given values of sine and cosine to find the corresponding coordinates on the unit circle. Then, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the hypotenuse and the reference angle can be found using trigonometric ratios.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve this trig identity problem?

Yes, most scientific calculators have built-in functions for inverse trigonometric functions, which can be used to solve for θ. However, it is important to make sure that the calculator is in the correct mode (degrees or radians) and to check for multiple solutions.

5. How can I check my solutions for θ?

To check your solutions, you can substitute the values of θ into the original equations and see if they satisfy the equations. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph the given equations and see if the coordinates of the intersection points match with your solutions for θ.