Traveling Wave on Circular Membrane

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a solution to the wave equation on a circular membrane that maintains a constant shape while rotating at a fixed rate in the angular direction. Various attempts at solving the equation, such as separating variables and using polar coordinates, have not been successful. The speaker suggests writing down equations and providing more information in order to receive assistance. It is mentioned that explicit solutions to this type of equation may not be achievable.
sharklasers45

Homework Statement

Is it possible to find a solution to the wave equation on a circular membrane such that the shape remains constant, but rotates at a fixed rate in the angular direction?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried separating variables, and assuming the solution only depends on theta, but the time dependence is oscillatory (which comes out of the normal separation of variables process), so this doesn't represent rotation in time.

And by writing the wave equation in polar coordinates, I can't get rid of the r dependence even if I assume the d/dr derivatives are 0 because of the 1/r^2 multiplying the theta derivative...

Physics news on Phys.org
I took a course in bifurcation theory from a guy who does research into spiral waves and symmetry breaking, and he talked about this a little bit at the end. I don't know exactly what your PDE looks like, but I seem to remember that explicitly solving this kind of equation doesn't work out very well.

You might consider writing down some equations if you really want our help. What exactly are you starting with, what did you do, where are you stuck? Use LaTeX.

Related to Traveling Wave on Circular Membrane

1. What is a traveling wave on a circular membrane?

A traveling wave on a circular membrane is a type of mechanical wave that occurs on a circular surface, such as a drum or a cymbal. It is created by a disturbance in the center of the membrane that causes the entire surface to vibrate in a circular motion.

2. How does a traveling wave on a circular membrane propagate?

A traveling wave on a circular membrane propagates through the transfer of energy from one point to another. As the membrane vibrates, it creates a series of crests and troughs that move outward from the center, causing the wave to travel across the surface of the membrane.

3. What factors affect the speed of a traveling wave on a circular membrane?

The speed of a traveling wave on a circular membrane is influenced by the tension of the membrane, the mass of the membrane, and the frequency of the wave. A higher tension and lower mass will result in a faster wave, while a higher frequency will result in a slower wave.

4. What is the relationship between the wavelength and frequency of a traveling wave on a circular membrane?

The wavelength and frequency of a traveling wave on a circular membrane are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the wave equation: v = fλ, where v is the speed of the wave, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength.

5. How is the amplitude of a traveling wave on a circular membrane related to its energy?

The amplitude of a traveling wave on a circular membrane is directly proportional to its energy. This means that the higher the amplitude, the more energy the wave carries. This relationship is described by the wave energy equation: E ∝ A², where E is the energy and A is the amplitude.