Transimpedance amplifier design

In summary: BER is then calculated as the root mean square of the noise floor at the output of the Rx . this is done for a range of attenuation values and noise levels , and the best result is used for the final design . In summary, the design is an optical receiver with a differential amplifier to compensate for the integrator effect of the TIA and a post amplifier to restore a flat bandwidth. There is no differential amp in the design , neither the PIN amp ( TIA ) nor other stages . The TIA has to be a low noise amp , therefore the working resistor is in the order of 150K , to eliminate johnson noise , also high sensitivity requires a huge transimpedance gain , which is satisfied
mmzaj
hi everybody

i have a term project , where i am supposed to design an optical communication system of 10Mbps , a BER of 10^-9 , a sensitivity smaller than -15dBm . i have designed an optical Rx with a transimpedance amplifier , post amplifier ( differentiator in this case , to compensate for the integrator effect of the TIA ) , and limiting amplifier . i would like to have your opinion on this design .

B.R

Attachments

• latest Rx design.jpg
    latest Rx design.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 406
Engineering news on Phys.org
mmzaj said:
hi everybody

i have a term project , where i am supposed to design an optical communication system of 10Mbps , a BER of 10^-9 , a sensitivity smaller than -15dBm . i have designed an optical Rx with a transimpedance amplifier , post amplifier ( differentiator in this case , to compensate for the integrator effect of the TIA ) , and limiting amplifier . i would like to have your opinion on this design .

B.R

Sorry, for me, the image is not clear. But still, a PIN photodiode amp cannot be differential optimally, right? Are you referring to subsequent stages?

And your BER will depend on your attenuation in the fibre and the length, and the noise of the RX amp. Can you please post about that quantitavly?

berkeman said:
Sorry, for me, the image is not clear. But still, a PIN photodiode amp cannot be differential optimally, right? Are you referring to subsequent stages?

And your BER will depend on your attenuation in the fibre and the length, and the noise of the RX amp. Can you please post about that quantitavly?

there is no differential amp in the design , neither the PIN amp ( TIA ) nor other stages . the TIA has to be a low noise amp , therefore the working resistor is in the order of 150K , to eliminate johnson noise , also high sensitivity requires a huge transimpedance gain , which is satisfied by a high working resistor . the problem here is that the high resistor ruins the flat bandwidth of the amp , and TIA acts as an integrator with a 6dB/oct slope of low pass . the differentiator amp compensates for that effect , and restores a flat characteristic . finally a limiting amp is placed at the final stage to limit the swing of the output to ~ 2Vp-p .
as for the BER , a rough estimation of the SNR is made by minimizing the noise at the Rx front end .

Related to Transimpedance amplifier design

1. What is a transimpedance amplifier?

A transimpedance amplifier is an electronic circuit that converts a current input into a voltage output. It typically consists of an operational amplifier and a feedback resistor, and is commonly used in applications such as photodiode amplification, current sensing, and impedance measurement.

2. How do I choose the right feedback resistor for my transimpedance amplifier?

The value of the feedback resistor depends on the desired gain of the amplifier and the input current range. A larger resistor will result in a higher gain, but may also introduce noise and decrease the bandwidth of the amplifier. It is important to carefully select the appropriate resistor to balance these factors and achieve the desired performance.

3. Can a transimpedance amplifier be used for both AC and DC signals?

Yes, a transimpedance amplifier can be used for both AC and DC signals. However, the design and selection of components may differ depending on the application. For example, for AC signals, it may be necessary to consider the frequency response and bandwidth of the amplifier, while for DC signals, the input offset voltage and input bias current of the operational amplifier may be more critical.

4. How do I minimize noise in my transimpedance amplifier design?

Noise can be minimized in a transimpedance amplifier design by using low noise components, such as low noise operational amplifiers, and by minimizing the feedback resistor value. Additionally, proper grounding and shielding techniques can also help reduce noise in the amplifier circuit.

5. What are some common challenges when designing a transimpedance amplifier?

Some common challenges when designing a transimpedance amplifier include achieving high gain without introducing instability, minimizing noise and interference, and maintaining a wide bandwidth. Other factors to consider include input impedance matching, power supply noise rejection, and component tolerances and variations.