Tracking a Falling Ball: Investigating Radius Over Time

In summary, the conversation discusses a ball of radius r falling from a roof, viewed from above by an observer. The question is how the radius changes with respect to time, and the equation of free fall is mentioned as a possible solution. The observer's angle of sight and the approximation of r(t) for this angle are also discussed. Ultimately, it is concluded that the formula for r(t) is accurate for small r.
Numeriprimi

Homework Statement

We have got a ball of radius r, which is falling from the roof of the house. How is the radius r with respect to time? We are looking at the ball directly from above and ball is at the beginning of fall x from our eyes. Neglect air resistance.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure what to write here. So I think the nub is equation of free fall: s= 1/2gt^2 radius decreases quadratically

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I know equation: s= 1/2gt^2
I think the radius decreases quadratically, because t^2.
I must attributed the x (s from eyes before free fall)
And my equation: r(t)= r/(1/2gt^2 + x)

It is right? Thanks for help.

PS: Sorry for bad English, but I don't know better yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
If r is the radius of the ball, I don't see any reason why it should decrease. Do you mean the visible angle for the observer?
If the initial distance of the ball is large compared to the radius of the ball, your r(t) is an approximation for that angle.

Hmm... the original problem statement would be interesting - with translated words maybe ;).

No, no... How changing the radius of sight of the observer, when ball is falling free fall.

Hmmm... You don't interesting what I think? :-( Describe better?

Hi Numeriprimi! :smile:
Numeriprimi said:
So, I know equation: s= 1/2gt^2
I think the radius decreases quadratically, because t^2.
I must attributed the x (s from eyes before free fall)
And my equation: r(t)= r/(1/2gt^2 + x)
mfb said:
… Do you mean the visible angle for the observer?
If the initial distance of the ball is large compared to the radius of the ball, your r(t) is an approximation for that angle.

i agree with mfb :smile:

you seem to mean (half) the angle subtended at the eye, and your formula for r(t) confirms that (correctly, for small r) :wink:

So... Is my formula well?

your formula is good :smile:

Related to Tracking a Falling Ball: Investigating Radius Over Time

1. How does the radius of a falling ball change over time?

The radius of a falling ball typically decreases over time due to the force of gravity pulling the ball towards the ground. This decrease in radius is due to the ball's acceleration, which causes it to move faster and cover a shorter distance in the same amount of time.

2. What factors affect the radius of a falling ball?

The radius of a falling ball can be affected by several factors, including the height from which the ball is dropped, the density and material of the ball, and the presence of air resistance. These factors can impact the ball's acceleration and therefore its change in radius over time.

3. How can the radius of a falling ball be measured?

The radius of a falling ball can be measured using a ruler or caliper to determine the diameter of the ball. The radius can then be calculated by dividing the diameter by 2. Alternatively, specialized equipment such as a motion sensor or high-speed camera can be used to track the ball's movement and measure its radius.

4. How does air resistance affect the radius of a falling ball?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the radius of a falling ball. As the ball falls, it encounters air molecules, which create a force that opposes the ball's motion. This resistance can cause the ball to slow down and cover a shorter distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a smaller change in radius over time.

5. What are the real-world applications of tracking a falling ball and investigating its radius over time?

The study of a falling ball and its change in radius over time has many practical applications. It can help us understand the laws of motion and gravity, as well as the effects of air resistance on objects in motion. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports science, where precise measurements and predictions of object movement are necessary.