Total internal reflection mirror?

In summary, the conversation discusses total internal reflection and its ability to reflect 100% of light. The question is raised about whether a cone-shaped retro-reflector would still reflect 100% of light, and the potential challenges of creating a perfect round surface for a crystal material used in TIR reflectors.
Smacal1072
Hi all,

From what I understand, total internal reflection reflect 100% of light. Suppose you had a transparent material with a critical angle of 45 degrees. Now say you had a cone with a 45 degree angle, and you shined monochromatic light in through the base. Would 100% be reflected (minus attenuation loss)?

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
From what I remember from my course in optics, I'd say yes, but I must admit I have never seen or heard about a cone-shaped retro-reflector; they are usually always prisms. I suspect that the reason TIR reflectors aren't cone-shaped has to do with difficulty of getting a perfect round surface of a crystal material that really is best for flat surfaces.

Related to Total internal reflection mirror?

1. What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when a light ray traveling through a denser medium reaches the boundary of a less dense medium at an angle greater than the critical angle. This causes the light ray to reflect back into the denser medium, instead of refracting into the less dense medium.

2. How does total internal reflection work in mirrors?

Total internal reflection is used in mirrors through the use of a special type of mirror called a total internal reflection mirror. This mirror is made of a transparent material with a high refractive index, such as diamond or glass. When light hits the mirror at an angle greater than the critical angle, it is completely reflected back into the material, creating a clear and bright reflection.

3. What are the advantages of using total internal reflection mirrors?

Total internal reflection mirrors have several advantages, including high reflectivity, low absorption of light, and resistance to damage from heat and chemicals. They also have a wide range of applications, including in lasers, optical communications, and medical imaging.

4. Can total internal reflection occur with all types of light?

Total internal reflection can occur with all types of light, including visible light, infrared light, and ultraviolet light. However, the critical angle and the amount of reflection will vary depending on the wavelength of the light and the refractive indices of the materials involved.

5. Are there any limitations to total internal reflection?

While total internal reflection is a useful phenomenon, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it only occurs when light travels from a denser medium to a less dense medium. Additionally, total internal reflection can cause unwanted reflections and glare in certain situations, such as in car headlights or eyeglasses.